Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report: Yosemite in the Snow

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a link to our blog post -- lots of photos -- I hope you enjoy them:

Yosemite in the Snow
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
10 REPLIES 10

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
The lows were in the high 20s -- not bad at all. We like the trailer to be very cold at night -- great sleeping weather. A down comforter and four blankets -- so heavy that we are forced to hibernate. We don't run the heater, except during shower time.

We figure that if the Eskimos can survive comfortably in igloos, we will be ok if we dress warmly -- knit caps, several layers of clothing, thermal booties, etc.

But this is all a matter of personal preference. And I would bet that if we lived in a snowy climate (instead of Southern California), we would not find cold weather to be such a pleasant change!

The high temp at my house today (Feb 28) was 83. Dry and sunny, as it always is. Dull.

Dan ... you guys' preferred cold temperature RV sleeping environment never ceases to amazefy me!

The coldest temps I've ever slept in were my unheated bedroom in Michigan as a kid, and my summer nights backpack tent sleeping above 9000 ft. in the High Sierras.

But no way in our RV. We keep our RV around 67 degrees when sleeping - about the same as our stick house nights here in CA. However, we don't RV camp in the winter or many days at high altitude, anytime.

I love your fantastic boondocking spots and photos. Keep it up! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
The lows were in the high 20s -- not bad at all. We like the trailer to be very cold at night -- great sleeping weather. A down comforter and four blankets -- so heavy that we are forced to hibernate. We don't run the heater, except during shower time.

We figure that if the Eskimos can survive comfortably in igloos, we will be ok if we dress warmly -- knit caps, several layers of clothing, thermal booties, etc.

But this is all a matter of personal preference. And I would bet that if we lived in a snowy climate (instead of Southern California), we would not find cold weather to be such a pleasant change!

The high temp at my house today (Feb 28) was 83. Dry and sunny, as it always is. Dull.

We love your attitude about cool rooms! We keep our cool weather (fall, winter, spring) bedroom temps in the upper โ€˜50โ€™s at home....it does make for good sleeping conditions!

We always enjoy your photos and stories....โ€keep on keeping onโ€! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

About our trailer

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!! Great photos. Itโ€™s not often to get photos of cats....pretty reclusive!

Forty degrees in the camper....and I thought that we kept ours a bit cool! What were the night time lows? memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the kind words! I don't know where we are going next -- DW hasn't told me yet! ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome as always prof! Thanks For sharing! Where are you headed next? Always enjoy your posts!
Bill

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Another set of wonderful pictures. TY.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report. I enjoyed it immensely!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wonderful post! ty
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful pictures! Looks like time well spent. Winter in Yosemite can definitely be sublime. Thanks for sharing.
E.Lee Galik