cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts of Valley of the Gods and Goosenecks SP

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did a drive thru of Valley of the Gods a few days ago. Boy has it changed, last couple of times we went thru there were maybe one or two campers, this time I lost track at 25. Many camped as close to the road as possible. Maybe newbie boondockers still worried about security. Still room for more tho.
The road from the south was moderately washboarded and rough, not a real problem tho. But about half way thru you will hit a deep down and up gully that I would not try to take my TT thru because of the approach angle and bottoming out. From that point on we ran into a series of other gullies maybe not as deep but we did encounter a p/u pulling a long horse trailer that was dragging bottom, thru one gully. The two women did finally manage to pull the trailer thru.
So I suggest coming in from the south and probably a good idea to scout the road out before taking a TT or large camper thru.

Goosenecks SP has undergone it's own transformation, they have added a check in shack with one rather disheveled Ranger. He said the addition was made 3 years ago, $5 entry. There were a number of campers too, last time none. Ranger said it is the smallest Utah State Park.

The Moki Dugway was the same but it seemed as if there is a lot of traffic.

There is no doubt that there is a flood of boondockers this year. We camped in a spot that was 60 miles from Blanding and maybe 40 miles from Bluff UT and that includes the Moki Dugway. That has a four mile washboarded dirt road running in to it at the end. And there were lots of people coming and going for the three days we were there.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
4 REPLIES 4

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Just was there and VOG has turned into a zoo, lots of traffic and campers. I camped in Johns Canyon and even it was busy. To bad I love that area. Only place around there that was somewhat quite was Comb Ridge area. Butler Wash was busy. Been camping in that area for 25yrs, I guess that's history.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at Goosenecks Oct 27-28, 2016. There was a gate shack, and the fee was $10 per night. Loved it.

With a 40' long TT, I was unwilling to try to get to one of the dry spots on Valley of the Gods Road.

Next trip I want to see if I can get to a site on Comb Wash near UT-95.

Was Sand Island full?
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Thanks for the report! We also saw many more boondockers in Utah than ever before. I wonder if things will calm down next year, as more campgrounds open up.

The campgrounds are open now in Utah, Arizona and Colorado. So who knows, lots of car campers with tents and van campers tho, that will get old fast.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the report! We also saw many more boondockers in Utah than ever before. I wonder if things will calm down next year, as more campgrounds open up.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."