cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The sound of wings -- no longer just for us boondockers

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just read an article about changes in the "soundscape" of city life during this strange time of urban silence. The reporter said that several people had told him that they are hearing the sounds of birds' wings for the first time in their lives.

For those of you who live in rural places, you are used to the idea that birds' wings make noise as they fly by. But as a city guy who never camped or boondocked till my early 50s, I can tell you that it is a little startling to hear the air rushing over a bird's wings, if you have never heard it before.

The "soundscape" of boondocking is, to me, one of the best things about camping in a remote spot.

And now, courtesy of this terrible disease, other city folks are getting a taste of what quiet feels like.

So that is not much of a silver lining, but it is better than solid gloom and doom.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
13 REPLIES 13

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live in rural south central Wisconsin. My city friend was sitting in the back yard with me one time and he was kind of freaked out at the number of coyotes, owls, and other assorted critters we could hear. When the wolf that hangs around in the nature area north of us started howling, he wanted to go inside. I talked him into staying outside and it was one of the most memorable nights of his life.
Later that night, he saw the northern lights for the first time. I felt blessed to have share the time with him.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
The reporter said that several people had told him that they are hearing the sounds of birds' wings for the first time in their lives.
A couple of months ago my neighbor was commenting on how he could now hear the birds chirping again. Of course for him, it was because he'd just gotten hearing aids for the first time! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Sitter around a campfire on a dark night with only the glow of the flames for light, listening to the sound of some creature scrambling around you in the rocks, we figured it was feral hogs, very eerie.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I am at my s&b (thankfully made it home just in time), in a small city. The daily sounds here remind me a lot of snow. The muffling, and the fact that nobody is driving.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice group here. These people get the outdoors.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Transitioning from a human doing to a human being is wonderful.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Great post...
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before discovering boondocking, I had never heard the sound of my own pulse. Now it is an old friend -- you know you are really in the boonies when your pulse is annoyingly loud.

And the sound of elk in the forest, all around you, at night, bugling.

And coyotes, of course.

I've still never heard a wolf, though.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As someone who lives in a semi rural area and am a lifetime hunter and outdoorsman I never even thought there may be people who have never heard the sound of bird wings. On a quiet, still morning sitting in the woods just before it is light enough to see and there is the sudden sound of heavy wings of ducks passing just over the tree tops it will definitely get your attention. And even more so in the dark and an owl swoops thru the trees just overhead with a soft โ€œswooshโ€ can make your hair stand on end. :E

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan off topic but somehow related ... I drove into town today for the first time in around 3-4 weeks. What a pleasant surprise everywhere - the highway, town streets, sidewalks, and parking space availability were like what they were 50 years ago. It made me feel like I had moved back in time to the "Good Old California Golden Years"!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting.. never thought of that. I always liked when it snowed in Seattle (rarely) and everything got real quiet.

Quiet is the main thing I strive for when boondocking. You don't get much of that in an RV park.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's as nice as the Sound of Silence.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The quiet and the dark! TY for your post.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad