cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Highlands

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
A friend told me about her trip to The Highlands in NC. We have been to several areas in NC, but did not know about this. Her description sounded beautiful! Have any of you been there? If so, can you recommend an RV park?
Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:
Hopefully its changed in 200+ years. I'm not too familiar with Highlands but I'm
somewhat familiar with with the area a little east of there. Good to hear the area is improving.

Some of the locals don't see it as an improvement. The eye of the beholder and all that.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully its changed in 200+ years. I'm not too familiar with Highlands but I'm
somewhat familiar with with the area a little east of there. Good to hear the area is improving.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:

High end and snooty? My hillbilly ancestors were from around there. Well, a little bit east of there. I'll get on campgroundreviews.com and see what's up there. It would be great if I could find something.

The Highlands has had a lot of money move into the area and many of the shops in the downtown area are boutiques, cafes and other businesses associated with higher income areas. Much has changed there since your ancestors.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Anybody stayed there in July? I'm looking to escape Houston heat. I need an alternative to Colorado.

Highlands is the highest altitude incorporated town east of the Rockies. I believe it's over 4000 feet. I don't know about RV parking. It's a pretty high-end kind of snooty place IMHO.

There is also Mile-High Campground near Cherokee, NC and Balsam Mountain campground in GRSM national park.

High end and snooty? My hillbilly ancestors were from around there. Well, a little bit east of there. I'll get on campgroundreviews.com and see what's up there. It would be great if I could find something.

We camp up in western NC frequently. A lot of those small mountain towns have evolved to arts and eateries to draw tourists. We enjoy em. There are great campgrounds throughout the area...Campfire Lodging near Asheville, Mama Gerties near Black Mountain, Mountain Stream near Marion., to name a few. These are east of Highlands, If you boondock, there is some CGโ€™s up on the Blue Ridge Hwy.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Anybody stayed there in July? I'm looking to escape Houston heat. I need an alternative to Colorado.

Highlands is the highest altitude incorporated town east of the Rockies. I believe it's over 4000 feet. I don't know about RV parking. It's a pretty high-end kind of snooty place IMHO.

There is also Mile-High Campground near Cherokee, NC and Balsam Mountain campground in GRSM national park.

2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the Allstays campground map and zoom in on Western NC area. That entire area is full of beautiful scenery. Keep in mind that the campgrounds may already be booked if you're wanting to take a trip there this fall. Leaf season is popular.
https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/North-Carolina-campground-map.htm

Magnus

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
narrow, crooked roads in that area. We stay just across the Ga line in a RV park on the road to Highlands on occasion
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:

Was up near Boone this year in mid August. If we ran the AC it was very little. Several years ago it was early July and again very little AC. 3300' elevation and shade helps alot.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. After reading, I realized that we have been in that area...near Brevard...in Transylvania County where all those beautiful waterfalls are located. I'll check out some of the RV parks posted.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be just south of there at Wamsutter COE from 10/18-10/22. Plan on day tripping to places in the area. It's our first trip up into that area. We plan to be in the general area to mid November. COE parks in the area are impossible to book Fridayand Saturday tho it looks like the crowd may disperse in November.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
LindaAnn wrote:
A friend told me about her trip to The Highlands in NC. We have been to several areas in NC, but did not know about this. Her description sounded beautiful! Have any of you been there? If so, can you recommend an RV park?
Thanks

Highlands is a boutique type town, good restaurants and art shops. Great waterfalls in the area. The roads there will close around Thanksgiving. We will be camping about 40 miles east of there in a couple of weeks. This time of year many CGโ€™s are filling up as fall colors are beginning. I got the last site at Riverbend RV Resort for mid OCT.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Weather report says down to 33F Friday.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad