cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer trip to Philadelphia, PA...where to stay?

4fromOH
Explorer
Explorer
My husband will be working temporarily out of the Philly airport this summer. We're thinking about taking the camper up rather than having him do a short term lease on an apartment. It would allow me and the kids (5&9) to go up to visit, as well as save us some money! The problem is, I don't even know where to begin looking for a campground! Any suggestions? We'll be coming from Charlotte, NC, in case that matters! Thanks so much!!
15 REPLIES 15

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Bill/Diana wrote:
I might suggest you consider staying at Oak Grove Park. The campground is situated about 30 miles north of Philly. You can drive to the Philadelphia airport in about 60 minutes via the turnpike & the blue route.

The sites at Oak Grove are all level, nice size and is situated in a very pleasant, peaceful neighborhood. You have easy access to many of the historic, educational and amusement activities that your family would appreciate. Click here just to view a few.

Tens minutes from the campground you can catch the train for a 55 minute ride into Philly. Then a 3 block walk to Historic Area.

The campground fees are very reasonable and it is not unusual for people staying 3 and 4 months. The place is family owned and very neatly maintained.

Hope this helps. If you would like more info please feel free to send me a private message.
Don't believe the links (Oakgroves) page saying their park is peaceful and quiet. Not. Cowpath is a real busy streat and when I stayed, the noise about drove me nuts.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I might suggest you consider staying at Oak Grove Park. The campground is situated about 30 miles north of Philly. You can drive to the Philadelphia airport in about 60 minutes via the turnpike & the blue route.

The sites at Oak Grove are all level, nice size and is situated in a very pleasant, peaceful neighborhood. You have easy access to many of the historic, educational and amusement activities that your family would appreciate. Click here just to view a few.

Tens minutes from the campground you can catch the train for a 55 minute ride into Philly. Then a 3 block walk to Historic Area.

The campground fees are very reasonable and it is not unusual for people staying 3 and 4 months. The place is family owned and very neatly maintained.

Hope this helps. If you would like more info please feel free to send me a private message.

4fromOH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies! I greatly appreciate all of your advise!

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at a State Park campground near Hopewell Furnace northwest of Philly when we visited. I believe it was called French Creek State Park.

Was a nice place, but not sure that would work for 6 months. I really enjoyed visiting the Hopewell Furnace. I was amazed by it.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for Timberlane.. Nice accommodating staff. We were on a cross country vacation, and lost a day due to a repair that needed to be made. We decided to make up the day by only staying one night at Timberlane. We called ahead, and they held our spot and didn't charge us for the night we missed, though we were willing to pay it.

Since we were only staying one night, they let us park the trailer in a large field after checkout, free of charge, while we went out to see the city.

Great facilities, nice pool, game room, and batting cages (if I remember correctly), and a nice pond in the center.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
For the amount of time you are expecting to be there, most likely Timberlane is your best bet. In that part of NJ most campgrounds close early to mid-October. I don't think there are any others that are open year round, except Timberlane.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Timberlane last fall, glad we only went into Philly once, $15 to cross the bridge without camper due to registered weight. On way home we stayed in Jersey until I80, only couple bucks to cross with 5er attached.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
There is the Philly park and ride place. If it is just you and da man working at airport and you only want to be tourist, this place may be for you. http://campusparkandride.com/rv/index.html The next closest is the campground over in Jersey, otherwise, any other Philly campgrounds will be just too far.

kevinbti
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you get a ezpass I travel up that way home to summer home in Nj and safely ezpass is worth investment Philly is great place as is a lot place not far from there, Lancaster etc

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
4fromOH wrote:
Thanks everyone! We'll be paying out of pocket for this adventure, so we're hoping it won't be too insanely expensive. It's for a max of 6 months, hopefully not quite that long. He has to be within about an hour commute from the airport, and won't have to be there very often. Hopefully not more than once a week. I homeschool the kids, so I thought it might be an awesome opportunity for us to check out some historical sites too! Most of all, I need to feel safe and clean. There will be some nights when I'll have to be there alone with the kids while my husband works. So, no creepyville places ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Keep them coming, along with any advise for must do's and see's in the area!

I work from home and we live in our camper as we travel the country. If you can do it, have fun with it!

That said, what time of year would be the "max of 6 months". PA gets pretty cold come Dec-Feb and into March.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

4fromOH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! We'll be paying out of pocket for this adventure, so we're hoping it won't be too insanely expensive. It's for a max of 6 months, hopefully not quite that long. He has to be within about an hour commute from the airport, and won't have to be there very often. Hopefully not more than once a week. I homeschool the kids, so I thought it might be an awesome opportunity for us to check out some historical sites too! Most of all, I need to feel safe and clean. There will be some nights when I'll have to be there alone with the kids while my husband works. So, no creepyville places ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Keep them coming, along with any advise for must do's and see's in the area!

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Have tons of family in the Philly area from So. Philly to the Northeast. Stayed at Timberlane x3 and found it most convenient. Did the K.O.A. in West Chester once when we were doing Revolutionary and Civil War battlefield. It was an okay commute into the city during non rush times. If you are working at the airport Timberlane will be your best bet for commutes. Call early for reservation as they fill up. They may be able to put you in a long term site in the back, You will be better for commuting taking the Chester Bridge and coming into the airport from the south. Still no joy. Walt Whitman, watch your lane position. BTW have a cousin who is a bridge inspector and refuses to cross Ben Franklin.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Timberlane. It's across the the river and south in New Jersey. Will his company pick up the tab or is this on your dime? Either way the bridge and traffic can be tough at any time of the day but especially during morning and afternoon rush hours.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance