cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

State Park Reservations

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Every state park in NW Florida and south Alabama shows to be booked for the summer. I have not found even one spot open until October.

Are there any secrets to getting reservations, or did i wait too late for this year? Do I have to reserve a year in advance?

Thanks for your help.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
27 REPLIES 27

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I founds some sites in August and September, but nothing on the earlier dates I wanted.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
johnhicks wrote:
Big Katuna that ticks me off too. The park stays empty five days out of seven because of weekend warriors and eventually the state closes it or pawns it off on a municipality for lack of use.

There's probably no rational solution.

That's probably the biggest problem with state parks everywhere - full weekends take out many of the two week vacation bookings.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna that ticks me off too. The park stays empty five days out of seven because of weekend warriors and eventually the state closes it or pawns it off on a municipality for lack of use.

There's probably no rational solution.
-jbh-

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are always commercial cg, usually you can find a site at one of those. If you are trying to find a site near a beach then you can always expect those to be booked up.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Constantly check the parks you want for cancellations. There are more than you might expect. People book large blocs of time to get a few days they want, and cancel later. Or sometimes life gets in the way and plans made a year in advance do not work out.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Magnolia Branch Wildlife Reserve is pretty busy during the summer but itโ€™s on tribal land and not that well known. You might get lucky. Itโ€™s a great place in SW Alabama.
Larry

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Would the National Forests work for you? Weโ€™ve enjoyed Juniper Springs in Ocala NF several times.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s 11 months window in Florida starting at 8:00 AM. What ticks me off is that they let people books weekend 11 mos out leaving empty nights during the week.

Iโ€™d like to see weeklies to get 11 months and weekenders 3 mos.

Anything in Florida near water books up way out.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Every campground THAT I CHECKED ON was full, and I need specific weekends, not just any day of the month.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every site? I just plugged 5/30 for 3 days in this website and found 11 sites open. That was with flexible 30 day window. And one of them was the most difficult park of all to get a site in: Bahia Honda .

But if you want a specific park during a fixed date range you better reserve the day, or even the minute it opens.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. Many of the popular state parks are booked a year in advance here in SC. Actually 12 months as thatโ€™s the window for reservations.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Jere in the far west its been that way for the last four or fives years. It shows how many are getting into RVing.

khager76248
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about Florida, but I do know that there are alot of state parks and federal parks that you do have to reserve right when they become available (For summer months). We booked a month stay in Ca one year, it was really hard to get what we wanted and we had to be fast, and flexible. All the sights were booked within minutes of becoming open. I am from Texas, and we have one state park, Garner near San Antonio that you have to book a year in advance to get a spot.
:)2008 Georgetown 315DS SE:)