Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Bass Island vs Kelley's Island

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
All-

Curious if any of you have camped at South Bass Island SP or Kelley's Island SP. We are planning on visiting during the July 4th holiday. We have two kids, 13 and 9 and we like to bike and kayak. Which state park is nicer in your opinion? We never have camped on a island before and would like to make it our next adventure! Appreciate any help you are able to provide.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
6 REPLIES 6

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
What happened was LEOPA descended on the islands over the 4th. LEOPA-Lake Erie Offshore Power Boat Association is made up of rich kids and rich dads with go fast boats and big appetites for booze. I know a few members. If you cannot do 100 per on the water, you have a slow boat. My buddy has a Scarab with triple 500 I/O Mercs.

Not my thing but I don't mind getting invited along as a guest.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

The_Kroc
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, what happened in the last 25 years? When our kids were young we would go to Kelleys Island to escape the rowdiness at Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island. Kelleys was perfect for a family bicycle tour. It was a sleepy townsite with a lot of history and natural wonders like glacier grooves in the bedrock and ancient Indian artifacts. We used to camp at East Harbor St Park(great beach here) and then take our bikes on the ferries for a nominal fee. The Marblehead area is very scenic and Johnsons island has a Civil War Confederate Cemetery. It's a great area and I think you'd want to see more than just one island.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to reply here and it is not as a camper. I have been both places numerous times, and I would stay away on the 4th of July holiday. It isn't a weekend this year. Biking might be one thing, but kayaking?? Not a good idea. That whole area will be motorboat mayhem that whole week. It normally is anyway, but the forth just makes more.

Now Biking is different. The gendarmes from the local constabulary are very serious. (In short, the cops will be out looking for drunks.) The state park and RV park (Fox Something) on South Bass are on the other end of the island from the bars and harbor.

I drove to one of those islands just once and that was to show my wife why I don't like to go there. But there are two sailboat races that end or are at one and one at the other. That is why I have ended up there. When there as part of a crew, it is hard to get away.

If you do go to Kelly's, you have to show the kids the glacial grooves.

If you want to do more kayaking, Sandusky Bay is just full of places that big load powerboats don't want to go. But mosquitoes and flys may be a problem. That is true anywhere there.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I ought to know, I'm oh, 60 miles from there. All my boat friends go to Kelly's to get loaded on the 4th. Big tradition. New Orleans of the north...lol

Far as the snakes go, hasn't been much said about them lately. I'd suspect this frigid weather will eliminate a bunch.
2015 Backpack SS1500

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
BOTH have had an influx of snakes from what I'm being told. I know Kelly's has issues near the marina. Sidecar is right about Kelly's on the 4th. it becomes PARTY ISLAND that weekend.

Not sure if it's an option but what about Pelee Island? I've never been but I do know that there is a ferry out of Sandusky up there (It's part of Canada).
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
South bass is nicer and less people. Kelly's on the 4th will be loaded with drunks. Not good at all for kids. If you (adult) like booze and partying. Kelly's is the place to go.
2015 Backpack SS1500