cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rockport, Texas

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I need specific information and much more than what's printed in a directory so I'm asking any campers or snowbirds who've stayed in Rockport, TX to give me some comparisons between Ancient Oaks RV and Campano Bay. I need full hook-ups with cable (major) and Wifi (strong and steady). I get around on a motorized chair so access to saltwater fishing and birding are important. I'd prepfer a pull-thru but I wouldn't turn down a back in if it was big enough. Shade is always a plus but I can make do without it if everything else is in place. Both of these parks have what I want, but if you know of another, let me know. I'm really hoping to hear from those of you who are staying or have stayed there recently. PM me with anything that would get you bumped from the thread.
Thanks in advance.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance
9 REPLIES 9

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Trout is one of my favorites. Snook is #1. For sheer frustration it's Sheepshead. Black or Gag Grouper if I can get them from a local pier when they run inshore would be a close #2.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the standard argument around Rockport: What is the best fish to catch and eat.

I vote Trout.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
gitchermotorrunnin' wrote:
I would add two RV Parks that are both quiet and out of the traffic loop. Yet close to the Causeway, Port Aransas, and is reasonably priced. One is Last Resort RV Park and Saltwater Flats. There are plenty of fisherman staying at either so you are up to date on the "bite". They both are about half way between Aransas Pass and Rockport and are easy access off of Business Hwy 35. Saltwater Flats is brand new and the owners are great people. They had issues last winter with dog owners and a click group causing trouble but I'm sure that has passed. Fishing is great down there. We will be wintering there again this winter over on the Copano Bay side of Rockport, at Southern Star RV Park. Maybe we will see you this winter. I'll be the one holding up a 40 lb. Red.

Only a 40lb red? I'll have his granddaddy. Actually the biggest red I ever caught was a 20lber. I'd much rather catch a snook or a sea trout, unless the grouper come in close to shore.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper

gitchermotorrun
Explorer
Explorer
I would add two RV Parks that are both quiet and out of the traffic loop. Yet close to the Causeway, Port Aransas, and is reasonably priced. One is Last Resort RV Park and Saltwater Flats. There are plenty of fisherman staying at either so you are up to date on the "bite". They both are about half way between Aransas Pass and Rockport and are easy access off of Business Hwy 35. Saltwater Flats is brand new and the owners are great people. They had issues last winter with dog owners and a click group causing trouble but I'm sure that has passed. Fishing is great down there. We will be wintering there again this winter over on the Copano Bay side of Rockport, at Southern Star RV Park. Maybe we will see you this winter. I'll be the one holding up a 40 lb. Red.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that Copano rv park is on the water, parts of it, and the water is not a beach but a shallow bay. You cannot swim or such there, Ancient Oaks is within 1 1/2 mile to the Blue wave beach and is a great park area. Fishing piers are within 1/2 mile of Ancient Oaks. If you go east of the beach, and that includes most of the parks in the Fulton area, you will not enjoy the fishing. You could fish the pier at Compano bay but need special equipment to get em out of the water and up to you. There are two city piers in Rockport and you can and will catch lots of fish from them. Trout/reds/ and fishermans choice . There is another in the city park and at the end you can fish from the bank and catch anything you want anytime.

When you get tired of that, go over to Mustang Island and fish the ship channel. take a lot of weights. Or fish the waterway right off the ferry. Its free either way, 24 hrs a day.

Take the highway to Sinton and fish the back part of Compano Bay.

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a month at Sandollar RV park and enjoyed the residents. They have a nice long pier out into the water for you too. Good luck.

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
rockportrocket wrote:
Camano Bay is a NO NO NONONONONONONONONONON. ANCIENT OAKS is by far way way way way above that one. Ancient Oaks is great. WIFI everywhere and never fails, pool always clean but not new, same for the hot tub. Decent washateria and dryers, nice pool table.

They just finished a new huge public bldg. for the renters. Fish cleaning tale with water, squirrels everywhere, dirt or concrete pads, nicely sized lots.

Handicapped access. Nice store, great people who work and manage the place. Location cannot be beat. Prices are verrrrrry reasonable. You could do better and you can do a whole lot worse. Capano being one of the worse.

Take this from one who lives in all the parks 8 months of the year. Ancient Oaks is my favorite "reasonable rate" park in the area.

I will be happy to give you a review of any park in the area , dependent on the price range you with to stay in.

Like Lagoons, top of the charts, so is the rent
Drifters, better than Ancient Oaks, so is the rent.
Several others same way. And Ill tell you the good and bad on each one.

That's exactly what I'm looking to find out. I want to stay somewhere where I'll have easy access to a pier for some saltwater fishing. I don't mind a short drive as long as I'm not stuck in traffic for an hour. We liked Ancient Oaks until we saw that Copano's had a boardwalkt to the beach but if the park is deficient then it's a no go for us. Thanks
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
Camano Bay is a NO NO NONONONONONONONONONON. ANCIENT OAKS is by far way way way way above that one. Ancient Oaks is great. WIFI everywhere and never fails, pool always clean but not new, same for the hot tub. Decent washateria and dryers, nice pool table.

They just finished a new huge public bldg. for the renters. Fish cleaning tale with water, squirrels everywhere, dirt or concrete pads, nicely sized lots.

Handicapped access. Nice store, great people who work and manage the place. Location cannot be beat. Prices are verrrrrry reasonable. You could do better and you can do a whole lot worse. Capano being one of the worse.

Take this from one who lives in all the parks 8 months of the year. Ancient Oaks is my favorite "reasonable rate" park in the area.

I will be happy to give you a review of any park in the area , dependent on the price range you with to stay in.

Like Lagoons, top of the charts, so is the rent
Drifters, better than Ancient Oaks, so is the rent.
Several others same way. And Ill tell you the good and bad on each one.