cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Wild West RV Trip"

shelleymam
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! My husband and I are planning a trip in mid-September from Salt Lake City to the Grand Tetons - Yellowstone - Wind Caves - Devils Tower - Mt. Rushmore - Great Sand Dunes - end in Denver. We're going to rent an rv and would love some expert advice on size (last one we rented was 19') and driving/rv park options. The last trip we did was the Utah Grand circle and we loved it!!!!
We have about 2 weeks, so not sure if we're trying to cram too much in, so......please let us know.
Any suggestions/advice would be more than welcome!
Thanks,
Shelley
21 REPLIES 21

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We did a very similar trip years ago, also in September. We went flew to Salt Lake City, then drove Jackson, Tetons, Yellowstone, Little Bighorn battlefield, Devils Tower, Deadwood, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and flew out of Denver. And due to work requirements, less than 2 weeks. We saw each area, but not a lot of each area. Would love to have had more time, but no regrets on doing what we did.

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Very overly ambitious itinerary. You'll be doing nothing but driving, making and breaking camp constantly, in a mad dash to hit the next attraction. That isn't my idea of fun. You either want quality or quantity, what's it going to be? It's your vacation. Relax and enjoy it, I say. That's my 2 cents.

Be sure to hit Mammoth in Yellowstone to hit the elk rut that time of year in September, but enjoy from a DISTANCE ONLY. For kicks, you can sit back and watch other people blatantly disregarding all the warnings they have repeatedly been given, approaching the bulls, camera in hand, trying their best to be "stealthy" and get that shot of a lifetime. YOU just might get lucky to get YOUR shot of a lifetime when those bulls have had enough of their intrusion.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Spent many mornings drinking coffee at Colter Bays beach looking at the Tetons.

Also drank lots of beer looking at the mountings later on in the days! Lol
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, fogot to recommend some campgrounds. We love the views of the Tetons across Jackson Lake, so we stay at Colter Bay. If you don't mind using your RV's generator, suggest the Colter Bay cg, but, if you want hookups, there is an expensive RV park there too.

At Yellowstone, either Canyon Village or Norris cgs are the most centrally located. If you head east from YNP through Cody, we love US 14/14A across the Big Horn Mtns. Great views, interesting geology, and a wonderful Forest Service cg with 30A electric and water called Sibley Lake. We stayed there last September on our way to Yellowstone and would go back in a minute!

The Devil's Tower NM cg would be another good one for a short Class C while on your way from YNP to Wind Cave. And, don't miss Jewel Cave NM while you are in the Black Hills. We thought it was more spectacular than Wind Cave.

Finally, your Class C is ideal for dry camping, so don't be afraid to stop at a Wyoming rest area or Flying J truck stop for a quick overnight. Both are free and many WY rest areas have water taps and RV dumps. Flying Js have RV fuel lanes, RV parking, and even propane, water, RV dumps, and restaurants, if you need them.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you are renting from Cruise America and have no toad, I would stick to the 19' Class C. First, it will be less stressful in the city and national park traffic you will encounter. Second, it will fit in many more national park campsites than even a 25' motorhome. For example, only one campsite at Pinon Flats cg at Great Sand Dunes NP and a couple of sites at the Wind Cave NP cg are long enough for our short fifth wheel and truck. National park cgs were designed decades ago before anyone even dreamed of a 45' motorhome. And the Sylvan Lake cg at Custer State Park in the Black Hills is just as cramped.

So have a great trip, but "think small."
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d cut your stops by a third. Enjoy your trip!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like A nice trip, but you are not going to give yourself a lot of time, in each place. For the size Of the right, make sure it's not too small, but not so big you can't fit into some of the places you want to go. Remember to factor in drive time / days. Etc...
Proud father of a US Marine