cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning Smokey Mtn trip

djnedd
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I are planning a Mid May trip to the Smokey Mtn NP (side trip to Mammoth Cave) etc. Probably a couple of distillery tours.

I am a pretty compulsive planner ( a character deficit ) for trips like this. How many days do you think I need to get a good sample of the Smokey Mtn.'s and surrounding environs? Are there any must see adventures you would recommend ( not the usual ones) ?

Thanks in advance.

Dan N
12 REPLIES 12

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Some great suggestions here. Take a look at Townsend as well. Quiet and very convenient to the park. We stayed at Big Meadows Family campground and enjoyed it.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
If you stay in Wears Valley, Elvira's Cafรฉ is OK. Also Geppetto's Italian.
We stayed at Cove Creek RV last year and have reservations there in April. Close to an entrance to the park and not too far from Pigeon Forge.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a week in the Smokey Mountain NP and used the Pine Mountain RV Park in Pigeon Forge, TN. Great location, and the shuttle stops at the campground. Have fun.

cindik
Explorer
Explorer
Second RV2GO, great suggestions!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
THE ONLY THING HARDER THAN BEING A SOLDIER, IS LOVING ONE

Our Photos

djnedd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your input. Some great advice. Looks like I could use up a week or two without much effort. At least I think I need to be thinking 4-5 days minimum just for the Smokey Mtn NP.

To answer the questions on preferences we like history and development of areas (some museums), short hiking trails, auto tours and scenic vistas, and of course good local food specialties.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you get a chance, visit Cataloochee Valley and see the elk that wander around. Dawn or just before sunset are great times to visit. We use Maggie valley as our base. There's lots to do in the valley and it's a short drive to Cherokee , the Blue ridge Parkway and other areas of interest including Asheville. If you are interested in motorcycles, Wheels thru Time in Maggie Valley is a must see. There are several RV CG's in Maggie, the last time we stayed at Pride RV and it was a pretty nice place.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a restaurant recommendation English Mountain Trout Farm & Grill. Off the strip and away from the crowds.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

ViewOfAKindArt_
Explorer
Explorer
Paw Paws Catfish for me:)please! Have fun safe travels.

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
RV2GO has some great suggestions. Give us some more info on the kinds of things you like to do and we'll give you more ideas.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The best distillery tour is Jack Daniels in Lynchburg. Very comprehensive and a good lesson in the distilling process. The distilleries around the Smokies are small Moonshine distillers and basically just tanks to see, same as a micro brewery really. Moonshine is just unaged whiskey. Lots of flavors made today and still worth a visit though. Campgrounds inside the NP are dry, no hook-ups so as said above, do you want to stay closer to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg or Townsend and the quieter side? Townsend has a couple of nice private campgrounds.

As far as must see's there is Forbiden Cavern, Bush Beans factory that has a cafe for a good lunch and museum for their history. Its small and an easy go through. Townsend area has the Great Smoky Mtns Herritage Center and small railroad/lumber museum. The touristy things to do in town are still worth a visit. Lots of good shows and restaurants in the area.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope that when you say you are wanting to visit the Smokey's, you mean the Park instead of the tourist traps of Pigeon Forge and Gburg.

Stop at the Visitors Center. View the displays, watch the movie, then drive up to Newfound Gap. Pack a lunch.
Plan on a early rise and drive the Little River Road over to the Y and then on to Cades Cove. Plan on a hike to Abrams Falls. about 5 miles RT. Several old homesteads and churches along the Cades Cove loop. about 11 miles. If time permits hike up to Laurel Falls on the way back. The trail and parking can be crowded. Pack a lunch and take water.

Plan a early start and drive the Roaring Fork Motor. Along the way, you come to the trail head for Rainbow Falls. At 80 feet, it is the tallest clear fall in the Park.

Drive back up the Newfound Road to the trail head for the Chimney Tops. This trail will take you to some views of the mtn's and the great fire.

OK....Now you can do some of the touristy things.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
What activities do you like? If you want full hookups and some tourist/town stuff, eating out, shows or attractions as well as going into the National Park, then I would look at Weirs Valley. You can go towards the tourist stuff or take the back entrance into the Park and you are halfway to Cadeโ€™s Cove or the other way towards the Visitor Center.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow