cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pinnacles National Park, California question

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Folks, we're heading up to Pinnacles National Park in California next week. We're staying at the campground in the park.

Never been there and want to make sure I have the route correct.

It looks like you can go in the West Entrance or the East Entrance. There is no road connecting the two so I want to get it right the first time.

According to the website, if you're going to the campground, you want to go in the East Entrance only.

If anyone from So Cal has been there, I would like to know what route you took and what to avoid and any other info that might be helpful. There's several different routes I've seen on the nav apps. Don't want to get stuck on some bad road for 2 hours!

TIA, Ron
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
10 REPLIES 10

TerriLyn
Explorer
Explorer

Just found your post - we're heading to Pinnacles in a few weeks from So Cal.  What route did you take and how was the drive?

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

According to the website, if you're going to the campground, you want to go in the East Entrance only.

The website is correct: the campground is accessed from the East entrance only. Depending on when you go, if you decide to wander through the caves you can expect to see some tarantulas - they make their homes in the caves...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks !
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some tips for enjoying the park: bring lots of water when you hike. Bring binoculars if you have them -- you might see a condor!

And there are trails where you walk through caves -- watch your head. Don't ask how I know this.

One more thought -- the stars are great. Bring warm clothes for sitting outside and stargazing.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Ron3rd wrote:
Pulling a 35 ft fiver btw

I figured your rig was bigger than mine, but 35 ft? Hmmm. Did the park say that would fit in the site you reserved?

I think driving there midweek would be fine, but I remember that road having a LOT of traffic on a weekend.

Anyway, Have fun and be safe.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The county park in King City is nice. San Lorenzo.

https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/government/departments-i-z/public-works-facilities-parks/county-parks/list-of-county-parks/san-lorenzo-park
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling a 35 ft fiver btw
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Good info. Thanks!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
You can follow the Google Maps suggestion, leaving 101 at King City. Get gas there.

However, I am a backroads person. I like to leave 101 at San Miguel (gas there), follow Indian Valley Road, go left when that changes to Peach Tree Road, jog bit left at 198, then right on Peach Tree again, now also called Hwy 25, follow that through Bitterwater. At some point 25 changes its name to Airline Hwy. Eventually, you'll get to a left turn onto 146, which takes you to the NP entrance station. Signage is good along this route. 2-lane paved road. I've driven it several times over the years (last time about 3 years ago) and rarely seen another vehicle midweek.

Take a good map, like maybe a regional AAA map or a roads atlas. Enjoy!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been there but it was 50 years ago, so not much help.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper