cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Philidelphia, PA area

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about our next outing, would like to go see and hear the mighty Wanamaker Pipe Organ at Macy's in downtown Philidelphia. Need information about RV parks in the area, is there public transportation available, things to do and places to go. When would be a good time period to visit that area?? We have been to that area many years ago, but now, as seniors, there is a lot more to consider. Any help or hints?? I can, but would rather not have to drive our toad into downtown any more than necessary, and our walk-about abilities are limited somewhat. Nor disabled, just getting old.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

12 REPLIES 12

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you[

quote=Bill/Diana]
bigred1cav wrote:
b&D, how easy is it for those of us requiring mobility scooters to use public transportation and trains? I would like to see Philly but am unable to walk distances.

Bill/Diana wrote:
Oak Grove Park

The above link will take you to Oak Grove Park website. We live 2 miles from the campground and store our RV there. Nice, family owned campground with very nicely shaded sites, level and large enough.

The SEPTA train station is an easy 12 minute drive from the campground. Like you we are seniors and enjoy taking the train into Philly to visit the Macy's organ and always eat at the Reading Market Terminal. The train is a 45 minute ride and takes you to Jefferson Station which is below ground. Walk upstairs and one block to Macy's and Reading Market.

The Philly Phlash is a bus that rides a loop through all the historic and locations worth visiting. The bus runs during the spring, summer and fall months and the best part is free to seniors. Just show your medicare card and free off and on all day long.

If you need more info or have any questions you are more than welcome to ask as we are glad to help.

Bill

bigredrav1.....

SEPTA trains & buses are equipped to handle scooters. Hope this link helps. SEPTA

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
b&D, how easy is it for those of us requiring mobility scooters to use public transportation and trains? I would like to see Philly but am unable to walk distances.

Bill/Diana wrote:
Oak Grove Park

The above link will take you to Oak Grove Park website. We live 2 miles from the campground and store our RV there. Nice, family owned campground with very nicely shaded sites, level and large enough.

The SEPTA train station is an easy 12 minute drive from the campground. Like you we are seniors and enjoy taking the train into Philly to visit the Macy's organ and always eat at the Reading Market Terminal. The train is a 45 minute ride and takes you to Jefferson Station which is below ground. Walk upstairs and one block to Macy's and Reading Market.

The Philly Phlash is a bus that rides a loop through all the historic and locations worth visiting. The bus runs during the spring, summer and fall months and the best part is free to seniors. Just show your medicare card and free off and on all day long.

If you need more info or have any questions you are more than welcome to ask as we are glad to help.

Bill

bigredrav1.....

SEPTA trains & buses are equipped to handle scooters. Hope this link helps. SEPTA

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
No mention of KOA West Chester?

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer

Bill/Diana wrote:
Oak Grove Park

Bill

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if our suggestions were of any help to the original fella making this post???

HHfundays
Explorer
Explorer
I too think that Oak Grove would be your best option. There is a train very close that will get you into the city fast. Once in the city, you can us public transit to get around pretty quickly. There is also some nice restaurants and shopping close by the campground too.
Happy Trails...

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill/Diana wrote:
Oak Grove Park

Bill

This sounds like a great idea. I also used to store my camper here. Not a place I would want to "hang out" as there is nothing to do at the park, but close to the train station and easy shot down to the city. Only other thing that comes to mind is West Chester KOA. Definitly spend time in Old City and see the historical sites. Tons of history in Philly! A stroll on south street is fun as well if you are into "site seeing" and nice weather. Reading terminal, americas oldest zoo, plenty of music and arts. Enjoy and welcome to Eagle country ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Oak Grove Park

Bill

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Timberlane, now a KOA, is about 15 mins from the Delaware Mem. Bridge. I stay here on my way south. The transient section is all pull throughs right up front. The only thing that change when they went KOA was the price.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
... Google says that it is closed permanently...
Their website is still active. I'd give them a call if I was interested.

Clarksboro is about the closest to downtown. There are campgrounds West of the city, but they are farther away. Also some North, but also a good distance.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
^ That sounds like a great idea so I looked it up. Google says that it is closed permanently... Wish they had something like that in Chicago.

Anyway - we stayed at Timberlane Campground across the river in New Jersey and took the train in to Philly. We did have to drive to the train station - but it wasn't hard to do. That was the Woodcrest Patco Speedline - $6.00 round trip to 8th & Market back in 2014.

Note: Looks like the Timberlane CG has changed to a KOA - Philadelphia South / Clarksboro KOA.

Good luck and have fun!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at this place for 2 nights in 2017. It was nice and close with a free shuttle to bus stops, etc. The Philly busses were free for seniors, too. The shower trailer was not great, but OK. I was very happy finding this place and getting one of the few spots.

http://campusparkandride.com/rv/