cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oscar Scherer SP, FL

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oscar Scherer SP, FL in June, any suggestions?
We'd like to make reservations, but can't really decide from the pics on Reserve America's site. Will have a B+ with a slide 22' long and need 30 amp power, anything beyond that, water, sewer would be a plus but not required. Would like something close to a shower house and sort of private, not in the open. Level site would be great, but most seem to be.
Also need advice on what to do in that area, beaches, sights, restaurants, groceries, etc.
RVReviews provided some good info, but of the more general kind. I'm after individual thoughts about which camp site, beach, restaurant, etc is better from your experience.
Also would the second full week in June be a mistake as far as weather/crowds are concerned?
Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
11 REPLIES 11

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a week at Oscar Scherer. The weather was great and the bugs were not an issue. As far as privacy, most sites are, so select ones nearest the bath house as you desire. Nokomis beach is about 4 miles away with a short walk from the parking lot. Nice beach and real close to the Venice inlet/jetty which is nice as well. Another 4 miles south is a nice dog beach, and just south of that is Caspersen Beach which is great for shark teeth hunting. We liked all 3 for different reasons.

We ate at Casey's Fish house for lunch and seems to be very popular. On the water and old time Florida feel. Food was good, but has the waterfront pricing. Downtown Venice was nice to walk at night with lots of shops and dining options.

We liked the part itself to get away. Miles of bikes trails to use. We saw a large bobcat on one trail. Canoed the creek and caught snook, saw large redfish and an otter.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
They have a skywalk, which is a walkway up in the tops of the trees that you can go on. Otherwise it's hiking and biking. In Arcadia, a bit further east there is a Canoe Outpost where you can take canoe trips on the Peace River.

And you aren't that far from Sarasota for everything else.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the input. Myakka River State Park sounds very interesting, but according to Reserve America's pic looks a lot more open. What else is there around there other watching gators?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

siguccs
Explorer
Explorer
when I think of Oscar Scherer I think MOSQUITOS. It was awful when I was there a few years ago, sometime in late spring. You might want to ask before you commit.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just my observation on FL mosquitoes. The population varies with recent rainfall history. If you get substantial rain after a dry period then the skeeters will swarm as the eggs hatch out. The population will generally drop to a base level after repeated rain days. Nothing scientific in this but just observations over decades down here.

That said we spent 10 days down there in the summer and I didn't notice any exceptional population of mosquitoes. DEET will mostly keep them off.

The worst mosquito swarm I've ever seen was when I camped out in upper Wisconsin. The fact that it was one of my first camping trips and I was trying to sleep in a tube tent (anyone remember those) may have influenced my perception tho. The second worse was in Ochopee, FL tho. Right on the edge of the Everglades.
Superbumper

I wouldn't recommend it as a destination. We have used it as a stopover a couple times on the way to the Keys. We were there this past July and the Mosquitoes would just about lift you off the ground late evening. You couldn't go outside at all in the evening. However if you do go be sure to go see the Oak
tree, it's the second largest in Florida, it's located in the park. As far as shopping, restaurants goes, there are plenty of different choices in the immediate area. This parks sits in the middle of a highly populated area. This is just my opinion, also I might add the bath houses were some of the dirtiest Ive seen, but that changes weekly with different camp host so you really cant go on that.

WindInTheFace
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy biking the Legacy Trail which then connects to the Venetian Trail for an approx. 20 mile ride. Yoder's Amish Restaurant is good. Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda is an easy drive down I75 for some browsing and waterfront restaurants.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have much else to add to what has already been discussed. I stayed at Oscar Sherer in Nov. We stayed in a pull through on the West loop. It was a little tight for my double slide TT. I had made the reservation when I owned my smaller trailer. We made it work but the slide was right up against the bushes. I was in spot P104.

We really enjoyed Casey Key Fish House. Another good place to eat is A Taste of Germany, on Midnight Pass road in Siesta Key. Great food. Try one of their Rum cakes.

I think there's more to do at Mayakka than at Oscar Sherer. We stayed at both. We picked O.S because we wanted to be closer in town. Mayakka is a bit further East of 75.

If you are into classic cars, go visit the Sarasota classic car museum. I've been there twice and it's still enjoyable. Have not done Ringling Museum, but wife did on one of her trips. Marie Selby Botannical Gardens is really cool too. Been there a couple of times, and takes quite some time to go through and enjoy, but worth it.

You'll have no problem finding anything you need within a short distance of the park. It's kinda cool that it's in the middle of town, but still gives you a feeling of somewhat secluded.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

trailerbob
Explorer
Explorer
Oscar Scherer park is on the south side of Sarasota and actually in Osprey. As far as shopping, there is a Walmart about 2 miles north of park. I've camped there a few times and I personally like the upper loop, sites 1-13 along the creek or on the backside 21-35. I stayed in 3 & 5 a couple of years ago. If remember right 5 was almost directly across from the bathrooms. In most of the sites you can't see south creek from your site for all the trees and scrub brush but some sites had a path to the edge of the creek. My opinion the creek is a bit underwhelming. I would also call the park and ask questions and get the rangers opinions-nothing better than hearing it 1st hand.
There is biking/walking path called Legacy Trail which is an old railroad bed that the county has black toped located out about a 1/4 mile past Lake Osprey. I believe it runs the entire length of the county. People are always riding bikes and walking up and down the Legacy trail. It's wide open so take water.
As far as things to do, check out March 2017 issue of Trailer Life. Fort Myers is south about 1-1 1/2 where the Edison and Henry Ford winter homes/museums are. Beaches are no problem, Siesta Key, Lido beach, Sanabel Island or farther north is Longboat Key to name few.

I agree, Myakka State park is a another great park to stay in. My opinion it is not very private and I don't remember the FHU area very shady. I have also stayed there several times both winter and summer.
You could alway stay at Oscar Scherer and then spend the afternoon/evening at Myakka State Park looking/watching the gators along with deer and other wildlife and maybe take a tour of Lake Myakka on 75 passenger air boat.
Weather in June could be afternoon showers but otherwise great.
These are my only opinions but I'm sure whatever you choose will be good.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed there many times and now live a few miles from the park because we grew to enjoy the Sarasota area so much.

As mentioned in the first response, June won't be crowded unless there are family/friends groups in adjoining campsites on the weekends. It's a great time to visit the area after the snowbird traffic subsides.

Check the Reserve America description but I'm pretty sure all sites have water and electric, and no sites have sewer. There's a dump station. Rental canoes are available. Wifi at the little nature pavilion by Lake Osprey. Great bike riding on the Legacy Trail.

The north side Sites are along South Creek, but if you have a dog, note that no pets other than service animals are permitted in those sites, #68 through 98. Some of those sites have nice views of the creek not obscured by foliage. This park has five restrooms/shower houses, a pretty short walk from any site.

My favorite pet-approved sites are on the west curve, numbers 64, 65, 66 and 67. They feel more private and spacious to me, and in my memory are quite level.

Lots of grocery and other shopping nearby in both directions. Turn right (north) going out of the park on Tamiami Trail (41) and you'll come to a big Walmart superstore and post office, further along to a shopping center in Palmer Ranch with a Publix grocery store, Target, Walgreen's, etc. and Palmer Ranch Animal Hospital, a good vet. Next shopping center past that has Costco.

RV World is a mile south of the state park if you need any parts or repairs. Big dealership where we bought our current RV.

The beaches are to the west on the Gulf of Mexico. Nokomis Beach isn't far. Siesta Key is also close. For restaurants, Casey Key Fish House is a casual joint we like on the water nearby. Drive along Casey Key's road to see some incredible waterfront homes.

Sarasota has some world-class attractions - the Ringling Museum as noted (circus museum is one element, along with European Art, Asian Art, the Ringling mansion on the bay, etc.) Also visit Marie Selby Botannical Garden, Mote Marine Lab, and more.

Good suggestion re Myakka River State Park. They have air boat rides where you see dozens of gators - you feel like you're in the Everglades. You could get a campsite there or just visit for a day excursion - not very far from Oscar S.

Enjoy. We love it here.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll have to check the park website or ReserveAmerica for site details. But you should have no problems with a Class B. The sites further back in the park, to the east I'm guessing are directly on the creek that flows along one edge of the park. Try for one of those.

Weather in June should be for afternoon thunderstorms possible every day. Most of the sites are shaded and to a Florida resident, anyway are nice and cool. The big crowds show up for the winter months not the summer.

For beach access there are several roads connecting to the beach. The park itself is semi-urban (tho it doesn't feel that way inside the park) and there are shopping centers whichever way you turn on Hwy 41. The one to the north is better and has a nice theater too. There are all sorts of restaurants in the area.

Myakka River State Park is a place you may want to visit, especially if you want to see gators. The Ringling Circus museum is worth a visit too.
Superbumper