cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ocean lakes mess

wvhurricane
Explorer
Explorer
Have spent the week in ocean lakes at myrtle beach. This park is completely out of control. The children on golf carts rule the roads from 8:30 pm on....trying to walk the dog is an exercise in simple survival. It is 12:39 and I am parked next to an extremely loud and obnoxious party next door. Security has chosen not to interfere. I will never ever come back here again.
99 REPLIES 99

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Mockybird wrote:
This Thread has gone full circle now from bad/ugly/happy/ and now back to bad. Let's just end it. Of course, JMO

That's my opinion, too.

Thread Closed.

Sandi (Moderator)
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
tsmith wrote:
I have said this before on this forum... "If golf carts are a deal breaker for you, then by all means, camp somewhere else besides Ocean Lakes". There are many folks out there who would like to get your site!

I have also said this... "Ocean Lakes has a completely different feel to it after school starts". What this means is that the busy season is over, the golf cart issue is non existent, and quite possibly your expectation of a quiet, peaceful, beachfront camping experience shall ensue. Think about that :S .

The management at Ocean Lakes listens to their guests, and they are making changes to their policies, and improving their facilities on an ongoing basis. They also monitor social media, as well as internet forums.

Todd

We are headed to Ocean Lakes in a couple weeks WITH our golf cart.... We do prefer the off season but we don't mind going in the summer either. Been going for 15 years never felt afraid we just go to have fun If we end up in the golf car line at night so be it.... we just join in the high fives the dogs ride with us & watch the sites, its controlled never seen a mishap with anyone...... Its just about being away & having fun.... we live in the country & enjoy being part of the crowd once in awhile.

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
We love OL and can not wait til we get back. With our golf cart.
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
Not every place is right for everyone. If you don't like a place, don't go there. As I have said before, if we all liked the same thing/place,there would be no room for everyone. I don't prefer OL because of the crowding on the beach and the tough intersection getting in/out. The golf carts at any of them are just a part of it to me. They won't keep me from going to any of them. But if they are not what you like, go somewhere else. We all have the choice to spend our dollars where we choose. This Thread has gone full circle now from bad/ugly/happy/ and now back to bad. Let's just end it. Of course, JMO
Gary

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
jebaly wrote:
We just returned from a very disappointing stay at Ocean Lakes. The golf carts were out of control, security guards walked through the chaos giving high fives to the the kids in the golf carts. ... The out of control golf carts made it impossible to enjoy the activities we were there for. We will need to try some of the other campgrounds I've seen suggested in the previous posts.

down home wrote:
A Resort or Park is not the amusement park for delinquent behavior. the kids don't know or care about the rules of the road and treated the entire park as a race track. The Parents should be brought up short about it. Some surely have been hurt badly. We won't stay at such an establishment. I appreciate the heads up about Ocean Lakes.

I'm with you both. And don't pay attention to wb's snark as he's always overly defensive of Ocean Lakes since he parked his rv there.

Post your concerns at RV Park Reviews as well. Here's the link to the Myrtle Beach SC page. Ocean Lakes is near the bottom.http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/South_Carolina/Myrtle_Beach.html

We had the TT parked there for a couple months last year and a couple this year, but we don't have it anymore. We have our class c which is kept at home. Keep up Magnusfide. :B

I think you just proved his point. :B
Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado

tsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I have said this before on this forum... "If golf carts are a deal breaker for you, then by all means, camp somewhere else besides Ocean Lakes". There are many folks out there who would like to get your site!

I have also said this... "Ocean Lakes has a completely different feel to it after school starts". What this means is that the busy season is over, the golf cart issue is non existent, and quite possibly your expectation of a quiet, peaceful, beachfront camping experience shall ensue. Think about that :S .

The management at Ocean Lakes listens to their guests, and they are making changes to their policies, and improving their facilities on an ongoing basis. They also monitor social media, as well as internet forums.

Todd
2007 Cedar Creek Silverback 33LBHTS
2011 F-350

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
jebaly wrote:
We just returned from a very disappointing stay at Ocean Lakes. The golf carts were out of control, security guards walked through the chaos giving high fives to the the kids in the golf carts. ... The out of control golf carts made it impossible to enjoy the activities we were there for. We will need to try some of the other campgrounds I've seen suggested in the previous posts.

down home wrote:
A Resort or Park is not the amusement park for delinquent behavior. the kids don't know or care about the rules of the road and treated the entire park as a race track. The Parents should be brought up short about it. Some surely have been hurt badly. We won't stay at such an establishment. I appreciate the heads up about Ocean Lakes.

I'm with you both. And don't pay attention to wb's snark as he's always overly defensive of Ocean Lakes since he parked his rv there.

Post your concerns at RV Park Reviews as well. Here's the link to the Myrtle Beach SC page. Ocean Lakes is near the bottom.http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/South_Carolina/Myrtle_Beach.html

We had the TT parked there for a couple months last year and a couple this year, but we don't have it anymore. We have our class c which is kept at home. Keep up Magnusfide. :B
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
wbwood wrote:
The high fives was the nightly parade and part of nightly ritual. The security guards were doing their jobs walking in between the carts. Do they give an occasional high five? Yes good customer service and making the guests feel at home is part of their job.

Out of curiosity, what activities did golf carts stop you from doing?

A it safe to assume you did not have a cart or a rental?

If you don't like golf carts, then you might want to head to north myrtle beach to someplace like MBTP. But be forewarned, the residents there do have golf carts. Not like the other places with rentals.

Not answering for him but... We have been at a few parks where the carts were dangerously and loudly operated. Some of the private carts were expensive jacked up gas powered jobs suitable for running the dunes. The noise and dust and danger from just getting around, in the parks was ludicrous. That is not what we pay a lot, of money, or lot to us for. A Resort or Park is not the amusement park for delinquent behavior. the kids don't know or care about the rules of the road and treated the entire park as a race track. The Parents should be brought up short about it. Some surely have been hurt badly. We won't stay at such an establishment. I appreciate the heads up about Ocean Lakes.

First of all there are no loud gas powered golf carts at ocean lakes. Jacked up? Yes. But all are electric. The only loud part is the stereos in them. Ocean Lakes is the largest campground on the east coast with 900 campsites, 300 rental homes and many that are privately owned and not rented out. The main mode of transportation in it is the golf cart. They have a rental fleet and if you have a private electric cart, you can bring it, but it has to be registered with the park ($25/year) and sometimes they charge a $2/day fee). It has to have a working light on it and the owner must supply proof of $50,000 liability insurance on it. You will find more golf cart parking spaces at the locations, rather than car parking. The park can have up to 40,000 people in it on a given summer day. Once again, it is a big and very busy place. It has its own sanitation department, fire truck, security department, rv sales, rv service facility, and a lot more.

The nightly parade of high 5's is a tradition. Along it you will find numerous security as well as at least one or more Horry County Police Officers there. The other night I saw a State Trooper in the park. Sometimes you will see the police just cruising through the park during the day. From my understanding the high 5 parade even goes on in Lakewood and Pirateland. They are smaller parks and different golf cart rules, but they have them. All three parks are called the big three because they are basically next to each other, with the Myrtle Beach Resort in between OL and Lakewood.

It's been no secret about OL. Believe it or not, last year(spring break) was the first time we came here. We went to Lakewood before. But since last year, we have been here at least 10 different times. This time for two weeks straight. Last year, there were a couple of one week trips and numerous weekend trips.

And magnusfide said about me being defensive about OL, well I guess I am a little. There is so much talked about it on here and if you go and read reviews on the website he mentioned and places like trip advisor, then it should be no surprise. Especially if you have been on the forum for any length of time. Also, the park has rules. There are quiet hours for instance. And I will say this, I have heard a lot more noise from other parks after hours than I have heard out of this one. Yes, every once in a while you will get a loud neighbor. You can either say something to them, park management or security. If you see someone driving a golf cart dangerously, get the numbers on it, a description of it(as many private carts are one of a kinds) or the site number it goes to and report it. If you are inclined to say something yourself, by all means.

Heres some more information that may be useful to some as well. If you are going to the beach and spending time out on it, then you need to have one of those ez up type of awnings and head out as early in the morning as possible (7-8am) and set it up on the beach (behind the life guard line). That way you will be sure to have a spot on the beach. If you don't and go out there at 11am, then you will be walking around a little to find a place.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
jebaly wrote:

down home wrote:

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
The high fives was the nightly parade and part of nightly ritual. The security guards were doing their jobs walking in between the carts. Do they give an occasional high five? Yes good customer service and making the guests feel at home is part of their job.

If you don't like golf carts, then you might want to head to north myrtle beach to someplace like MBTP. But be forewarned, the residents there do have golf carts. Not like the other places with rentals.

Not answering for him but... We have been at a few parks where the carts were dangerously and loudly operated. Some of the private carts were expensive jacked up gas powered jobs suitable for running the dunes. The noise and dust and danger from just getting around, in the parks was ludicrous. That is not what we pay a lot, of money, or lot to us for. A Resort or Park is not the amusement park for delinquent behavior. the kids don't know or care about the rules of the road and treated the entire park as a race track. The Parents should be brought up short about it. Some surely have been hurt badly. We won't stay at such an establishment. I appreciate the heads up about Ocean Lakes.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

jebaly
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a very disappointing stay at Ocean Lakes. The golf carts were out of control, security guards walked through the chaos giving high fives to the the kids in the golf carts. We are a family of 6, 2 of which are teens, so we are used to chaos, but this trip was anything BUT relaxing, and even the teens were happy to leave. The out of control golf carts made it impossible to enjoy the activities we were there for. We will need to try some of the other campgrounds I've seen suggested in the previous posts.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
mockybird wrote:
The good guys ride the UNC / Carolina blue carts.

Not hardly
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
The good guys ride the UNC / Carolina blue carts.
Gary