cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NYC suggestions

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All- This is a strange one for me as we typically like to camp rural, but for this particular trip I am considering bringing our travel trailer out to long island. Long story short, we will be camping in NE PA in the pocono's and then have a concert at Citi field in Queens right after the trip. My initial plan was to go home and then go to the concert the next day either getting a hotel room or just driving back (3 hours) to home in the Philly area. Now I am considering sticking around for a few days. I am very familiar with driving around the NYC area but have never trailered in that area. I found a few campgrounds on long island that look nice for a few days stay. The route would likely take me from the poconos across 84 and on down to the GW bridge, through the Bronx, Queens, and on down to long island. Going home I would backtrack but then drop to 78 and across to PA. So... all of that said, how crazy is that with a 37' trailer? I would stick to the GW to avoid tunnels and Manhattan all together, but anything else to consider? Anyone do this i the past? I would much prefer having my camper and making a beach weekend out of it but if it's going to be a nightmare I might back out. Thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I was just at Liberty Harbor it was the best $150.00 I've spent for a CG yet..
well maybe not better than Fort Wilderness but close.
Anyway the only thing to compare the $150 to is the cost of a decent hotel in NYC. Which is way more than $150.00
Now you can camp on the outskirts of NYC like Croton Point Park.
But you will spend more time and money traveling back and forth to NYC.
If you are in the area to visit Manhattan and tour NYC and your traveling by RV you can't beat Liberty Harbor.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
Thanks all! I did see the Liberty Harbor park. Would save us tolls but itโ€™s $150 per night.

Ok thanks again for the info. I think I have what I need!

Mustโ€™ve went a bit! LOL. But it is the best location to see NYC. The ferry leaves right from the harbor. Or a short walk to another ferry. Itโ€™s a bit longer walk to the subway that takes you right to the World Trade Center site.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ArialSummer
Explorer
Explorer
No worries, dude! Taking your 37' trailer to Long Island can be done.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all! I did see the Liberty Harbor park. Would save us tolls but itโ€™s $150 per night.

Ok thanks again for the info. I think I have what I need!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s not in NYC, but across the River in Jersey City is Liberty Harbor RV Park. Itโ€™s pretty much a parking lot, but very close to the train or ferry to NYC.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note, your going to spend around 180.00 in tolls for the GW and Whitestone/Throgs Neck Bridges pulling a trailer. Not sure if you meant I84 or I80 from the Poconos to the GWB. For I80 that would certainly be the most direct route to the GWB (80.00 toll). But if you truly meant I84 I would cross the Hudson over the Mario Cuomo/Tappen Zee bridge (about 20.00) or better, the Newburgh-Beacon bridge (about 12.00) get off I84 at I684 south to I287 east then I95 south to the Throgs Neck Bridge. The latter route would be much less traffic as you would be bypassing the densest part of NYC.
If you are lucky enough to find an available campsite during any part of the summer grab it quick as Long Island camping is crazy busy.

Good Luck.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not many campgrounds on Long Island. Smith's Point County (Suffolk) Park, McAnns in Greenport and Cliff and Eds in Cutchogue. The rest of the campgrounds seem to be reserved for the homeless except one that is near Riverhead but the gestapo runs that one. When we still lived on Long Island we wanted to check that one out but they wanted us to rent a site before we could check out the campground. Never went back.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We went across the GW bridge once with a RV. No problems but I would not drive through NYC again. Maybe in NJ.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob