cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern Tier States, Best time for trip

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's another Best time to Visit thread. This one is for folks with no time restrictions, like retired folks who have toured or live in the areas.

Would like to take a trip from New England to the PNW, spending some time seeing the states west of MI and just south of the Canadian border. I'm thinking roughly 10 weeks next year.

I'm thinking I'd go late in the season, attempting to get home mid Oct, which means leaving the beginning of August. Any thoughts on this time frame? Figure for a few stops I'll need reservations, like Glacier.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
20 REPLIES 20

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I do plan on going to Roosevelt NP, going in one direction or the other. Thanks for the tip on the state park, I'll mark it down as a possible. I'd love to stop for fishing, oubt my wife would care for it though.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of wide open spaces across Hwy 2 in ND & MT. Just west of Devils Lake, ND is Graham's Island State Park (off Hwy 2 on a side highway). Beautiful park with one loop with private sheltered sites and another section with large pull-through full hookup sites. Great Walleye fishery and guides are available in the area to help you find a mess of fish if that interests you.

Another option would be to dip down to I94 to the ND Badlands and Theodore Roosevelt National Park.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Parrothead Mike wrote:
I've got this urge to take US 2 from Michigan's Upper Peninsula to Washington and down the Pacific Coast a ways. I've been coping & pasting RV.net comments for a couple of years. This is a bucket list item that I need to get underway.

My suggestion to you is to start from the Mackinac Bridge in the UP and hop on US 2. I've talked to a person that has done this trip and they suggested that US 2 is a good road and while parts of it are a bit boring there are some excellent stops along the way.

Below is a clicky on this trip.

https://roadtripusa.com/the-great-northern/

Thanks for the link. I had plans to take 2 as much as possible having done VT to Mackinaw in the past, really enjoyed the countryside in CA.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

dedmiston
DrewE wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

Does that go through Glacier National Park? That's a tough enough drive in a passenger vehicle. I would definitely detour around the park.

What a great looking route though. I'll have to add this to our bucket list too (minus Glacier NP).

US2 skirts around the southern edge of Glacier. I think technically it does dip into the park, but there's no entrance fee or gate, nor is it a difficult road to travel through that area; it's not at all like Going to the Sun road.

If you're going to drive the length of US2, you really should start from Maine lest you miss the other half of it. (There is a big gap in the middle where it's assumed you would cross Canada on your way from coast to coast.)

Good to know. Thanks!

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

Does that go through Glacier National Park? That's a tough enough drive in a passenger vehicle. I would definitely detour around the park.

What a great looking route though. I'll have to add this to our bucket list too (minus Glacier NP).

US2 skirts around the southern edge of Glacier. I think technically it does dip into the park, but there's no entrance fee or gate, nor is it a difficult road to travel through that area; it's not at all like Going to the Sun road.

If you're going to drive the length of US2, you really should start from Maine lest you miss the other half of it. (There is a big gap in the middle where it's assumed you would cross Canada on your way from coast to coast.)

dedmiston
Parrothead Mike wrote:
I've got this urge to take US 2 from Michigan's Upper Peninsula to Washington and down the Pacific Coast a ways. I've been coping & pasting RV.net comments for a couple of years. This is a bucket list item that I need to get underway.

My suggestion to you is to start from the Mackinac Bridge in the UP and hop on US 2. I've talked to a person that has done this trip and they suggested that US 2 is a good road and while parts of it are a bit boring there are some excellent stops along the way.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
August is the big month in Washington because it has the driest weather. Everything will calm down after Labor Day but not before.

Anyone that thinks Washington is "sunny and warm from the 4th of July through the end of September" has never lived there, especially not in the mountains.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer

2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
We're planning the exact trip for August-Oct this year. The word from a friend that has done this is - don't be in the Rockies after September.

The plan is to leave Aug 1 and make our way to Dayton where I'm crossing the Air Force Museum off the bucket list, then up the UP to Mackinaw and across US 2 to Glacier NP. Current thinking is down I-15 to Idaho Falls to the Craters of the Moon the back up US95 to Couer d'Alene and back on US 2 to Grand Coulee and continue onto the Puget Sound Area.

I haven't planned the trip back yet, but it will be roughly south on I-84 and I-15 to the the Grand Canyon and then east on I-40, maybe north on I-25 to Denver where I can pick up I-70 or one of the US routes east. A stop in Lee's Summit MO to visit the DD and then home for Halloween.

Hadn't thought about heading that far south from WA, another thing to consider.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

legsnred
Explorer
Explorer
No one has mentioned this but August and Sept are harvest months for some of the best fruit and veggies at roadside stands and farmers markets. Available all over the PNW.
:,)2003 F-350 4X4 PSD 2006 Everest 344J

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning the exact trip for August-Oct this year. The word from a friend that has done this is - don't be in the Rockies after September.

The plan is to leave Aug 1 and make our way to Dayton where I'm crossing the Air Force Museum off the bucket list, then up the UP to Mackinaw and across US 2 to Glacier NP. Current thinking is down I-15 to Idaho Falls to the Craters of the Moon the back up US95 to Couer d'Alene and back on US 2 to Grand Coulee and continue onto the Puget Sound Area.

I haven't planned the trip back yet, but it will be roughly south on I-84 and I-15 to the the Grand Canyon and then east on I-40, maybe north on I-25 to Denver where I can pick up I-70 or one of the US routes east. A stop in Lee's Summit MO to visit the DD and then home for Halloween.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Not much I can do about potential fires, not that I thought about such, Just try and stay flexible I guess.

Have experienced this a couple of times. You are right in not worrying about them-just keep a "bug out" bag handy and pay attention to all warnings.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks, I'll stick to my original time frame, Aug - Oct.

Not much I can do about potential fires, not that I thought about such, Just try and stay flexible I guess.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
14 Escape 5.0 TA

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
By mid-August things start calming down in the parks as kids are getting ready for return of school.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel