cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

northern Florida suggestions

opnyn8d
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to snowbird for the first time. We have noticed many people talking about going from park to park to check out places to stay longer the next year. How difficult is it to find an open campground site when roaming like that? Or do they reserve a different place for each week in advance? Any insights or advice?

Also, we need to escape the Michigan winter cold for my wife's health, but neither of us enjoy really hot places. She grew up in Florida, and doesn't want to suffer like she did then. So the northern half of the state should be OK; we don't mind wearing a sweatshirt in the evening. As new retirees, money is tight, but we don't want a dirty and noisy campground. Does anyone have a suggestion of a decent place for a reasonable price? Any experience at The Springs at Silver Springs, a Wilder RV resort?

We'd appreciate any guidance the more experienced RVers can provide.:h
2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H, modified
Honda CRV toad
Ready Brute towbar
20 REPLIES 20

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
When comparing rates, check to see if taxes and WIFI are included or extra. This can make a difference in the monthly rate - our experience is some counties charge and others don't. A few parks, e.g. Rock Crusher Canyon include electric.
Rock Crusher and Williston Crossing are two favorites and in nice areas. Another spot to consider near Silver Springs is Wilderness RV Resort - also very nice.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Try wm rv park in zephyrhills fl.33541 phone# 813-992-9209 talk to willie. This park was purchased last spring & is being updated. Rent was $350/month plus electric. used to be called colonial four not a good rep from the previous owner. small park w/seasonals. quit,clean & friendly people. located @ 1424 fort king rd. zephyrhills,fl. 33541
We are winter resident there. Good luck

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There were some comments deleted.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

opnyn8d
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thanks to everyone for the great info. I have found several good possibilities. Nothing like an experienced person for useful information. I do wonder, though, what fla-gypsy and lizzie are talking about. Please expand on your comments. What nonsense? If you have so much inside and useful information, please share it with us all. I am sure many travelers will benefit from your knowledge. Thanks.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H, modified
Honda CRV toad
Ready Brute towbar

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
s N s: "It's an owner owned park..."

Thanks for that chuckle. I've never been in a park of any other kind.

bedell
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Rock Crusher Canyon. It's not a "parking lot". Also Crystal River is a very nice area.

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably further South then you may like but take a look at emeraldpointervresort.com. It's an owner owned park with lots for rent. Some may have sheds, lanais etc. Take a look and see what you think. This will be our 5th year there. It's a beautiful park.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at Williston Crossings RV Resort last winter. It's in the small town of Williston and is about 15 miles SW of Gainesville. It is just about the nicest park I've ever been in. It's huge - about 5-600 sites and because of that they have all sorts of activities going on all the time during the winter.

Take a look at their site because the rates vary depending on the length of stay.

If you are interested then I would advise you very strongly to call and make a reservation ASAP as they do fill up for the winter. They are a Good Sam's 10/10/10 rated park.

You can PM me if you have questions.

Tim

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
[quoyepte=fla-gypsy]A lot of nonsense in this thread

Yep!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I might be able to put you into a free campsite in Jacksonville if you are willing to volunteer for easy work 32 hours per week. PM me if interested.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of nonsense in this thread
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
She grew up in Florida, and doesn't want to suffer like she did then. So the northern half of the state should be OK; we don't mind wearing a sweatshirt in the evening.

I hear ya! I am from up North and the first few times I stayed way south in FLorida. IMHO it was unbearable. Yes I wanted warm weather but geeze, just trying to keep the MH cool enough to be comfortable was a real pain.

If you don't have to be right on the coastal edge. North central is a good place to be. And the state is so narrow at that point a day trip to either coast is a breeze.

Check out the CG's within a 10 or 20 miles radius of Dunnellon or Rainbow Springs. Beautiful country and just above the hot humid weather line. There are a plethora of affordable, nice CG's in this area. .....IMHO WEST and South of Ocala is a nicer area to be in.:W

There area few forum members who stay in this area. Hopefully they will chime in with their favorites. I know a CG called Rock Crusher comes up a lot but I have never been there.

Re: Reservations:
As a full timer when I come down to Florida for the winter I have yet to make reservations.

BUT, I get to the CG's BEFORE the Snowbirds do by just a few weeks or so. I drive around and stay a night or two in a couple of CG's until I find one I really like. Then I check in for a week or two in the one that I like. I found that ALL CG's leave several sites open usually up front for short stays for travelers passing thru.

In my experience every CG I was at during my week stay I would check with the manager periodically and each and every time there was a cancellation of a snowbird reservation!! I might have to move to that site but then I am in for the winter!! And I already know what the CG is like!:C

Just a tip when looking at what the monthly CG rate is. Down here in Florida they charge EXTRA for electric on top of the monthly rate. So ask lots of questions about how they meter and/or charge for electric BEFORE you decide so you know just what your monthly cost will be.

Good Luck finding just the right CG. Come on down to North Central Florida the weather is fine!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Boldtning
Explorer
Explorer
Take a long look at Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park in Crystal River. All the amenities in a state park like atmosphere. As you look at rates, electricity IS included in their rates. Great area of the state.
Jeff & Barbie
2010 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Dodge Ram 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X2 SRW, 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Crystal River, FL/Dillard, GA/ USA

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
Give North Beach Camp Resort in St Augustine a look. Lots of history; plenty of good restaurants (three within walking distance); the IntraCoastal Waterway on one end and the Atlantic on the other; spacious sites with vegetation; friendly staff; and semi-reasonable rates. Camp on!