cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie boondockers left a mess in Eastern Sierra

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not surprising, but depressing -- last summer's flood of novice boondockers left a lot of trash and violated a lot of the rules:

Sierra Wave article

Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do about the slobs who are wrecking things for the rest of us, other than cleaning up trash when we encounter it.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
12 REPLIES 12

Let_s_Go_Explor
Explorer
Explorer
Some don't know and others will never care.

The best thing to do is lead by example.
April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5
2021 Ford F350 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ 7.3L Engine and 4:30 Rear.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Find ways to make it happen! :B

Hiking and Geocaching Rocks!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grodyman, I'll let you know what I see on the ground, after the snow melts. It would be nice if this article were fake news. Unfortunately, the source (Sierra Wave) is a pretty straight-ahead local publication, not known for inflammatory reporting, so it is hard to discount their story.

But we'll see.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps there really was a large mess to clean up, but I didn't see any pictures of said mess. I am all for responsibility, but the government is partly to blame here if there is any truth to this article (which I doubt), by closing all of the campgrounds and related facilities. This article smells.

So before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I am for a clean environment and leave no trace, but there is too much mis-information and propaganda out there for me to just read some article and take it as the gospel.
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

dedmiston
When our kids were little (too young to be much help setting up camp or packing up to leave), we issued each kid a garbage back and told them they weren't allowed in the truck to come home until they each filled their bags. They got pretty good at it after a few trips.

After a year or two, they had completely cleaned up all of our favorite camps, including all the bulky stuff like tires and bumpers.

When they were finally old enough to help us back up, they still instinctively made the rounds around camp to pick up any of the clutter. There are always a few grocery bags and old mylar balloons in the bushes around camp. I'm glad to see that the routine was kept alive with them. They're adults now and they still do it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œYou can run your gray water out a hose.โ€

Not fun to be the camper after those that dump on the ground.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
And sadly, it is everywhere. Last yeras stay at home crowd discovered the outdoors and trashed it pretty much anywhere they could get to. Every Rec Site and foresrty road in BC was jammed with boondocking grandstanders with their chainsaws, atv's, motorcycles and over-ran pretty much anywhere they could get to and probably a few places they boated or flew into. And when all else failed, they abandoned their broken and busted **** where it last worked. I am quite sure Washington and Oregon suffered a similar fate, judging from the social media groups I belong to.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I see dozens of people posting on social media everyday

We boondock, you can full time out there also. You can run your gray water out a hose. It's not hard and no one will care.

Makes me sick.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
rlw brings up an a point interesting to me. Inyo NF is fast and first to close its campgrounds for a reason and for no reason. Last to open up too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like the ignored the obvious solution:

they escaped to an area assumed to be germ-free and serene, found area campgrounds closed, pitched their tents wherever and left a mess behind them

I think most people (especially those not accustomed to camping) would prefer to stay in a campground. So if they want to prevent all of these damage due to dispersed campers not following (or even knowing the rules), then keep the campgrounds open. Or maybe even expand them if there's too much demand.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Terrible behavior.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Require a 8 hour training class and issue a identification card as proof of attendance. Required for anyone over 10 years of age.. Fund additional staff requirements with a $10 fee for 3 days camping. Enforce laws on books and any funds derived from fines used for above. Encourage clubs such as Good Sam to help clean after the slobs.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We can't fix stupid and we can't turn hogs into humans.