cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mobs in Yosemite

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Brace yourself if you plan to visit Yosemite soon. With the snow (more than double a typical year) now melting, the waterfalls are fantastic. I've been to the park twice before and never seen them like this.

But the crowds in the valley yesterday were scary with people getting a jump on the holiday weekend, I guess. We took the free park shuttles around, and it was not unusual to see packed buses, standing room only, with waits for a next bus. Unlike Grand Canyon, there's no line pen system, so some folks jumped ahead of others to get on.

We were on one bus where a driver had an apparent stress melt-down after heading in the wrong direction and going around in circles, pulled over, got out, walked off leaving a bus packed with people (not at a stop). I think it's going to be a long summer for employees.
8 REPLIES 8

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
Went up our traditional mother's day weekend, which is usually not very crowded, and was much more people than expected. But well worthwhile, Merced was 1-2 feet above flood stage and the falls were thundering, massive flows of water.

Went up for a day trip two weeks later, May 20th. Still decent waterflow, but not historic. But the crowds were oppressive, took almost a hour to cross the valley floor at 10am. The current road constuction didn't help. But the trails aren't that crowded. So we parked, hiked the eastern valley (Mirror Lake loop and Happy Isles) and had a wonderful time.

Can't imagine how bad the crowds were Memorial day weekend.
Visted via RV

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
On Facebook this week they said if you plan to go to the valley you need to be IN the park by 8am.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are also staying home this holiday weekend, and relaxing at the pool !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Amazing, the places designated to help us all remove 'stress' and relax is now causing even more.

I'm so glad we're staying home this week-end. We've got the camper set up at home, made a commitment to NOT go into the house from after work Friday evening till Monday night. We have a fire pit, and LOTS and LOTS of privacy. No crowds here!

You have the right idea :C. Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

P3driver
Explorer
Explorer
I live within an hour and a half from the park and spend a lot of time there throughout the year. I clime and hike, and have found that the crowds thin out above 7000'. Most people treat Yosemite as though it's an amusement park, they have no understanding or respect for the Eco systems or what they are actually looking at. The part that bothers me the most is the trash they leave behind. I carry a trash bag with me on every visit and start collecting trash on the way down, most of the time I run out of space in the bag. If you do plan to visit please enjoy what I Yosemite is, one of the most spiritual and beautiful spots on the face of the earth. AND please, please if you bring it in carry it out and pick up that gum wrapper or yogurt cup! THANKS!!!
2017 F350, 6.7L.
Keystone Laredo 325RL

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
I would imagine the road construction projects going on contributed to the bus driver going the wrong way. I hope they conclude those projects and get rid of all the detours before summer...
E.Lee Galik

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
It was like that in 2005 when we visited. We were early enough (June 6) that with the snow they had that year that the valley was just about the only thing open which made the crowds even worse as they had no place to go. We had reservations in Wawoona CG for four nights, but after being in the valley for a couple of hours, we had enough and left after the second night.

Part of the problem was we had also been spoiled by spending the five previous nights in Azalea CG over in Kings Canyon which was pretty deserted. It was nothing for us to go down into the canyon and only see a couple of cars all day.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing, the places designated to help us all remove 'stress' and relax is now causing even more.

I'm so glad we're staying home this week-end. We've got the camper set up at home, made a commitment to NOT go into the house from after work Friday evening till Monday night. We have a fire pit, and LOTS and LOTS of privacy. No crowds here!