cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Military Campgrounds

JAYCOJOCKY
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Military campground question. Our son will be attending basic training May -July in Fort Sill Oklahoma. Planning on taking camper to his graduation in July. Medicine creek RV park is located there. Are parents able to use military campground if family member in basic training.
Thanks !

2005 Chevy 2500HD CC D/A
2007 Jayco Eagle 325 BHS 5th Wheel

23 REPLIES 23

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I am a 6 year veteran of the Air Force. I was a captain and flew jets for them. I can't find any military campground I can use. My experience is you have to be retired military or have a huge disability to use them.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

JAYCOJOCKY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone appreciate the response.

2005 Chevy 2500HD CC D/A
2007 Jayco Eagle 325 BHS 5th Wheel

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Son is in Basic Training. He will barely have enough time to use the latrine and basically NO free time to wander around and make phone calls.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
JAYCOJOCKY wrote:
Are parents able to use military campground if family member in basic training.

Per DODI 1015.10 and AR 215, parents that are not "dependents" (tan carders) are not authorized to use MWR facilities. But, under AR215, the Bases Commander can authorize a guest of an active duty member to use the MWR facility if not needed by a higher numerical group member. So, as everyone said, have your son check with the base campground directly.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Best answer is to call campground and ask and if answer is yes make reservations and get ID for whomever you talked to. If answer is no ask if son can reserve for you.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some on base military campgrounds are full or near full year round due to active military's personnel using these facilities until they find housing in the area or they live full time in their RV. This is the case with the Travis AFB family camp RV park on base as of last year when I was there.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best bet is to call the RV park on base to get the most definitive answer, we have found that each military campground has their own set of rules, like some do take reservations while others use a first come first serve system. All of them do require proper military ID, your son should be able to reserve a site if they allow reservations and indeed have spaces available.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can read about it here:

MilitaryCampgrounds.us

You'll have to contact them to see if they make exceptions. It's a small campground, so doubt it could accommodate an influx for basic graduation.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some do, some don't. Best to call directly and you probably have to make a reservation anyway.

www.militarycampgrounds.us ... try that site, will probably find an answer on that forum.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic