cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michigan Destinations

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
In the beginning stages of planning a Summer 2019 tour of some destinations in Michigan with another couple. We travel with a 30 ft 5th wheel; our friends have a 30 ft travel trailer. We are traveling from Minnesota to the south shore of Lake Superior in Wisconsin, then on up to Copper Harbor, then to Munising (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore), then to Mackinaw City (Mackinac Island); and finally to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.

Not sure on time frame, more than likely late July/early August.

Looking for recommendations for campgrounds/RV parks we should consider. Electricity would be a minimum requirement. Full hook-ups would be a welcome luxury.

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading up there this summer. We are going to stay at Munising Tourist Park. I believe they started taking reservations in September for the next summer. I thought I was on top of reserving 6 mo out. I was lucky to get a site. Look up mushroom houses in Charlevoix, that may be of interest to you. Near Sleeping Bear Dunes: We are staying at Indigo Bluffs RV Resort in the regular campground area. It looks nice. It is very hard to get in to the Platte River SP. I was also looking at Empire Township campground but they were full for our nights. We may drive through to check out for future reference. Fish town in Leland looks interesting. Have fun planning. I had to narrow down a lot because we have limited days. I hope you have more time.
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
McLain state park outsider of Houghton and Tahquemenon(spelling?)Falls SP (near Newberry) are a couple of my favorite parks. Don't travel through the UP without seeing Bond Falls (near Ontonogon).

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
It sounds like you may be retired. If so, why travel during the height of the busy season? Plan for the end of August/first of September. I'd recommend Platt River campground for Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Nope, not retired. Trying to work around the schedules of four busy adults. End of August/first of September is not an option.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you may be retired. If so, why travel during the height of the busy season? Plan for the end of August/first of September. I'd recommend Platt River campground for Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
In Sault Ste Marie we stayed at the Aune-Osborn RV park. It's an OK park but it's right on the water with incredible views. It's better than the other parks in town that we toured.

You get an up close look at the lake freighters heading for the Soo Locks.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
In Sault Ste Marie we stayed at the Aune-Osborn RV park. It's an OK park but it's right on the water with incredible views. It's better than the other parks in town that we toured.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time check out Silver Lake Sand Dunes. You can do a Jeep tour, ride in the back of a big dune vehicle, or if you have a 4WD vehicle you can drive the dunes yourself.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Lake Superior and UP.

?
Yes, that is where we are planning to go. Looking for campground recommendations...

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Mackinaw Mill Creek, a couple of miles out of town or the Mackinaw City KOA which is a walk to town.
Don't forget the Pasties in Mackinaw City and the video on how the Bridge was built at Mama Mia's pizza place, 2nd floor.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lake Superior and UP.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
In the beginning stages of planning a Summer 2019 tour of some destinations in Michigan with another couple. We travel with a 30 ft 5th wheel; our friends have a 30 ft travel trailer. We are traveling from Minnesota to the south shore of Lake Superior in Wisconsin, then on up to Copper Harbor, then to Munising (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore), then to Mackinaw City (Mackinac Island); and finally to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.

Not sure on time frame, more than likely late July/early August.

Looking for recommendations for campgrounds/RV parks we should consider. Electricity would be a minimum requirement. Full hook-ups would be a welcome luxury.

Thanks.

Musnising Tourist park obviously in Munising is nothing special but has incredible views of lake Superior and Grand Island. A lot of people seem to like Mackinaw Mill in Mackinaw city, but it's a bit to large and crowded for us. We prefer the Straits state park (sites 4-5 have the best bridge views) on the other side of the bridge in St. Ignace which also will bring you to Mackinaw Island. Platte River Campground by Sleeping Bear Dunes is popular so plan ahead on that one.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel