cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memphis, TN - T.O. Fuller State Park

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to the Memphis area in the early fall, and had considered staying at T.O. Fuller State Park for the several days we'll be there. However, after reading a few reviews of the park, we find that it's very close to a sewage treatment plant, and several campers have commented on a terrible foul smell in the campground. Are these complaints valid, or are the posters exaggerating? If any of you have first-hand experience with T.O.Fuller S.P., we'd really appreciate hearing about it. Thanks in advance for any information.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)
12 REPLIES 12

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I know all cities are this way but be careful what part of Memphis you visit not all areas are safe. Especially if you decide to boondock.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get to Tom Sawyer? I was going to take a look at it but we missed the exit. We were going south on I 55

charming
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at TO Fuller last spring and did not experience the smells.

I looked at the Graceland park and we might stay there on a future visit, but it looked too much like a parking lot for our tastes.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

joe_puma
Explorer
Explorer
we stayed at Tom Sawyer few years back, and it was nice. This past spring break we went down to check out storage places for the winter. We hope to dewinterize in Mid January then head to AZ. We checked out the state park, it seamed nice, didn't notice any odor, but that was spring. Maybe smells more in summer. Sun Records tour was good. ribs as BB Kings were good too. There also is a private CG across from Graceland, seemed nice, a little close as most are.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to all who've taken the time to respond. Based on the several recommendations for Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River Park, that's the CG we'll choose when we visit Memphis.
Jerry & Susie

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
X3 for Tom Sawyer
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Those Complaints ARE valid!!!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
forget it and go to Tom Sawyer over in West Mmphis, arkansas. Very nice, beautiful views, and pleasant folks. Easy to get to, and just as close to everything. MUCH better and safer neighborhood. NO neighbors except for barges on the river. Greetings from Tennessee, but across the river is a LOT better in this case.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Padlin, we would also have left because of the stink that you experienced.

Our main purpose in visiting Memphis is for the National Civil Rights Museum, the tour of Sun Records, and to see the ducks at the Peabody Hotel.

I came across a review of the Pilot Flying J in West Memphis, Arkansas, so we may stay overnight there as it's actually closer to our places of interest than the state park. Our class B camper is only 19 feet long, so boondocking one night would be okay.

Happy travels to all.
Jerry & Susie

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm one of the reviewer's you read, I was not exaggerating. I can't say if there were specific conditions that happened, humidity, wind direction, or some such, but it certainly stunk. As others have said nothing about it I tend to believe this is the case, not that it changed anything, it stunk more then we were willing to deal with.

The office refused to refund my 2 nights as we pulled in at 1pm which was beyond the refund window, so we had to eat the loss at the state park. Moved to the campground that's part of Graceland which was the first place we called. It was nice, as far as commercial parks go.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Or stay totally out of memphis

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help you with the SP, but if I were going to Memphis, I would stay at Tom Sawyer's RV Park in West Memphis.

http://tomsawyerrvpark.com/
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK