cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Madison CG Yellowstone: length restriction

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
OK, let me start by saying that I have a reservation, so at least I know we have a place to stay. So this is thread is more just out of curiosity (or frustration?) and to help others in the future as they plan their trips.

As we are planning our 3 week 2018 spring road trip I have done a lot of research on roads and CGs in Yellowstone to make sure things will be open. Madison CG is set to open Apr. 27 (LINK) and the east entrance on May 4th (LINK ) . So I have planned our entrance into the park through the east gate on May 4, with reservations for 4 nights at Madison CG beginning that night. (Note: we will be coming down from Little Big Horn with a night in Cody, so if the east gate opening date changes we can forego our night in Cody and go around the top of YSNP and go in the west gate.)

In researching CG's in the Yellowstone I soon discovered that Madison was the only one that would be open during the time frame of our trip (LINK)so then I did a little research into the CG to make sure it would satisfy our needs and accommodate our rig (LINK) Seeing all the nice long pull-through sites in this video, as well multiple 5ers longer than ours gave me the confidence that Madison would work out quite well for us. But when I went onto the reservation site and selected the longest site they they have, this is the message that popped up:

"Please list separately the extended length of both your 5th wheel and its towing vehicle (i.e. "22 ft fifth wheel towed by 18 ft truck"). If your plans include tents, please list tent dimensions, as well. If the combined length of your towing vehicle and 5th wheel is greater than 40 feet, you must select a larger site or contact our reservations office for assistance before booking."

Our 5er is 'only' 29ft long, and I consider it short (got it specifically so we could fit into our favorite sites in Yosemite from our tent camping days). So when I saw the 22ft mentioned I wondered how many of those there really are out there on the road. Anyway, I digress. Since one cannot reserve a specific site (it can be requested I guess, but no guarantees) I figured I better call to make my reservation.

I talked with a very friendly/helpful agent who confirmed that indeed the maximum combined length limit for ANY RV/trailer-combo was indeed 40ft. I tried to explain that the Youtube video as well as campsitephotos.com showed MANY sites that I know we could easily fit in. Just a couple of examples: Example #1 Example #2...but he was not to be deterred. He said if one's combined length is longer than 40' then they simply can't camp there. Sigh.

However, he did offer an acceptable solution: two side by side 30ft sites (same price). I asked if he could tell us where in the CG they might be, but he said he honestly did not know. That (he said) would be decided when we get there.

I have no concern that things will work out just fine, and given the time of the year (low demand) if we don't like our assignment I be we will probably be able to change sites.

But I still find it interesting that they won't allow lengths over 40' when clearly many many of those pull-through sites can accommodate lengths well over that.

Steve
2010 F350 XLT 4X4 6.8L V10
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!
17 REPLIES 17

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have reservation at Madison for the first week in OCT. Since I am longer than 40 feet (28 + 20) fifth wheel, I was able to call and talk to a person who had an open double wide 30 foot site. I could not book online.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
calberry wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
We stayed in Madison of May 2016. We have a 26ft TT plus GMC Savanah Van.So our total length is about the same as yours. We had no problem getting into our site. There were others longer than us. The only problem we had was we had to back out of our pull through site because it was too tight to pull through completely. No problem though.Madison is very centrally located.

Did you make reservations in advance or just show up? I'm just curious if you made a reservation whether they emphasized the 40' length issue.

Steve
We had a reservation but it wasn't for a specific site. They assign you a site when you get there.

Yes, I understand they assign sites when you get there (We have a reservation for a dual site, but have no idea where it is). I was just curious how you were able to make a reservation if your overall length was greater than 40' given their length standards.
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
calberry wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
We stayed in Madison of May 2016. We have a 26ft TT plus GMC Savanah Van.So our total length is about the same as yours. We had no problem getting into our site. There were others longer than us. The only problem we had was we had to back out of our pull through site because it was too tight to pull through completely. No problem though.Madison is very centrally located.

Did you make reservations in advance or just show up? I'm just curious if you made a reservation whether they emphasized the 40' length issue.

Steve
We had a reservation but it wasn't for a specific site. They assign you a site when you get there.

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
After reading comments above from people that have actually camped at Madison CG in vehicles (combined truck and trailer) that exceed the 40' max. (both stated on the website and on the phone) I decided to call again to confirm what I had been told before.

First let me remind readers that I have a reservation, so I do not have any issues. My attempt here is simply to try to clarify the length issue.

Concessionaire: Xanterra
Reservation phone #: 1-(866) 439-7375 (summer camping option #2)

The 'agent' I got this time was a nice young lady that was very helpful, but then after a while got a little frustrated with my questions :R

I did not say I had a reservation, I did not ask for a reservation, and I did not suggest the time of year I would be going. I simply asked if the 40' combined truck and trailer maximum length restriction was firm. She said that it was, but that they do have 'dual' sites (which is what I have reserved) where if both the truck and trailer are each under 30' then they can be parked side by side.

I said that was good to know, but that I was a member of RV.net and have been communicating on line with several other members that have camped at Madison before and their combined lengths were in excess of 50'. She said she could not explain that.

I asked how long Xanterra had been the concessionaire, and she said a long time, so the 40' restriction was not a new policy.

I then asked why I can look on-line at multiple YouTube videos of the Madison CG as well as photos on campsitephotos.com that clearly show truck/trailer combinations in sites that over 40'. To that she sighed and exasperatingly said, "I'm sorry sir, I cannot explain that. All I know is that the limit is 40'." To that I thanked her for her help, wished her a good day, and hung up.

Madison CG is planned to open on April 27 this year, and my 4 night reservation starts on May 4th. Unless someone else can clarify what 'we know' vs what 'they say' by then, I will give a full report here after we get home (May 12).

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
The campground manager looks at the reservationsame and tries to put them into the best site for their size. No guarantees that there's not snow blocking part of the site. We worked at Bridge Bay in 2011 and there was 3 ft of snow on May 20th.

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
With our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep we've stayed at Mammoth (our favorite), Madison and Bridge Bay. No problems.

Baker's Hole is great!

We didn't make reservations for any of the above.... just drove in early morning and snagged a cancellation.

Since we are arriving at Madison just a week after they open I assumed that we wouldn't even have needed a reservation. But our route and timing is pretty much set in stone, so I have made reservations for each stop along the way (21 nights, 10 locations). Cancellation fees are the only thing at risk if we have to cancel.

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know what I can tell you, but when we camped in Madison in 2013, we had no problem with our 32' fiver and full size pickup. Total length, even when hooked up, certainly exceeded 40'. Perhaps none of the sites suitable for your length were available at the time you called. Or perhaps the person you spoke with was uninformed or simply going by the book. I'd call again and see if you can get a different person. It's been awhile, but from perusing the campground map, I believe we were in site 113. Good luck...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
It's been a while, but I was there in 2000 with a 30' TT pulled by a 24' long crew cab long bed truck for a total of 56' when connected. My father was with me with his 36' FW and was 52' connected. The only problem we had the whole time was after three nights at Bridge Bay and another night at Madison, my battery was about dead so we had to run a power cable from his camper to mine to charge the battery. Absolultely no problem with the sites or maneuvering around the campground.

Sounds like you have a good plan with a good backup plan. They are real good about predicting road opening dates. If the snow fall is below normal, they could open up to several weeks earlier. Have fun seeing the sites with the snow on the ground, it's one of my goals when I retire.

In case you are interested, here are how they have to plow some of those roads that they groom during the winter. Yellowstone Plowing

Since Madison is run by a concessionaire I don't know if they have changed their policy, changed concessionaires, or what. My combined length is shorter than either of your's or your Dad's so I KNOW I could fit in MANY sites there, like you did. Anyway, I have a reservation so all is good. I just hopes this helps others when doing their planning for camping in Madison.

Thanks for sharing that plowing link. Very interesting!

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
With our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep we've stayed at Mammoth (our favorite), Madison and Bridge Bay. No problems.

Baker's Hole is great!

We didn't make reservations for any of the above.... just drove in early morning and snagged a cancellation.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
After camping at FB a week, I wanted to stay longer at YS. The camp host suggested Madison for my 30 foot TT. I was able to get in and it was tight. The next night I moved to Bakers Hole a few miles north of West Yellowstone. NFS campground and MUCH more space and I like it better. Now I always stay at Bakers Hole to visit the west side of YS.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while, but I was there in 2000 with a 30' TT pulled by a 24' long crew cab long bed truck for a total of 56' when connected. My father was with me with his 36' FW and was 52' connected. The only problem we had the whole time was after three nights at Bridge Bay and another night at Madison, my battery was about dead so we had to run a power cable from his camper to mine to charge the battery. Absolultely no problem with the sites or maneuvering around the campground.

Sounds like you have a good plan with a good backup plan. They are real good about predicting road opening dates. If the snow fall is below normal, they could open up to several weeks earlier. Have fun seeing the sites with the snow on the ground, it's one of my goals when I retire.

In case you are interested, here are how they have to plow some of those roads that they groom during the winter. Yellowstone Plowing
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
The person you spoke to has probably never seen a campsite. Call center may be in India.

LOL. No, he was actually in the park. Since I had worked in Yosemite for a couple of years (years ago) we had a nice long chat about his life there. There was no way he was 'faking' it.

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!