cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for suggestions on our 14 day trip to the southeast

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be leaving later this week on a 14 day trip starting north of Minneapolis with the final destination being Savannah GA. We will be pulling our 43' toy hauler. No toys except for bicycles.

I plan on leaving Friday the 7th for Cave City KY and will probably spend Friday night in Springfield Illinois (will not drive through Chicago).
Looking for things to do/visit in the following cities

Cave City KY- 3 nights

Gatlinburg Tennessee- 5 nights

Savannah GA-5 nights

We have not decided on the route home. My wife is retired and I am a teacher so no need to hurry back. Any suggestions would be appreciated as we are not familiar with this area of the country.

Also, any suggestions on a mapping app that will keep me away from low bridges??

Thanks in advance
20 REPLIES 20

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I-65 between Shepherdsville and Elizabethtown KY is going to make you use a lot of 4 letter words.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
mrad wrote:
I should have mentioned interests. We are outdoors people. We will be bringing bikes. We like to hike, visit breweries, distilleries. Good smokehouse restaurants as well as other good little eateries. Historical sites as well as history museums would also be on our list

Georgia State Parks have bike and hike trails plus museums and reenactments. Go to their main website and look at the descriptions of the state parks near your route. https://gastateparks.org/

Weโ€™re not into alcoholic beverages but I do know that there are microbreweries and distilleries in GA. Quite a few great BBQ and Southern style eateries too. I like seafood in Savannah especially. A quick web search will turn up these locales quickly.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should have mentioned interests. We are outdoors people. We will be bringing bikes. We like to hike, visit breweries, distilleries. Good smokehouse restaurants as well as other good little eateries. Historical sites as well as history museums would also be on our list

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d give Plains GA a miss. Nothing to see really. We could make better suggestions if we knew your interests.
Do you like museums?
Do you like re-enactments?
Festivals?
Unusual food places?
Adventure resorts?
Historic places?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I do not know of any low bridges if you stay on main "red" roads or interstates
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Long time in Cave City -- Day trip or overnight in Nashville

Check out Charleston SC

POW museums at Andersonville, GA which is near Jimmy Carter home town of Plains.

Okefenokee Swamp
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos