cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for RV parks near Boston MA

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. Our theme for this year's summer adventure is "Early American History". We will be visiting some of the most historic sites from Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and of course the District of Columbia.

1.Right now I am focused on the Boston area and am looking for advice on finding a good RV park to spend a few days while visiting the sites in Charlestown and Boston. Any good ones we should consider?

2. I was told that I may not want to bring our F250 tow vehicle anywhere near Boston for visiting because of narrow streets and limited parking. Should we call an Uber or what?

We are retired and plan to spend two/three months on the road this summer so we are not in a rush to see things.

As a diehard westerner, I'm not really all that familiar with challenges associated with RVing along the Eastern Seaboard.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel
23 REPLIES 23

lampooner
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in Boston area for 20 years in the town of Harvard. I would recommend Minuteman RV park in Littleton MA. It is a relativey small park in Westford MA. This is near Lexington and Concord which you can drive to. Also near two commuter train stations where you can catch a train to downtown Boston.

You do not want to try driving your truck into Boston unless you really enjoy total frustration!
Lampooner

Remember you are only young once,
but you can be immature forever!

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Winter Island in Salem. Basically just a marina parking lot with RV sites around the perimeter and tent sites.

Two caveats: (1) the directions to the campground will take you over city streets with fairly low weight limits, better to follow truck route. (2) if you will be out in the evening be sure to ask for a gate key as they lock it up fairly early in the evening! (don't ask!)
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. I'll check out the Boston/Cape Cod KOA. I like the idea of taking a train. Is the "T" near the KOA?
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I wouldn't be driving in Boston... not brave enough :B

We live close enough to take day trips in so taking the T would be my suggestion as it will almost get you almost everywhere in Boston

Not saying you have to do this but we have taken the green line in many times, Riverside station exit 22 grove street, directly off I95.(relatively easy to get to) you will need to download a parking app to pay for parking https://www.mbta.com/stops/place-river

Though we have never been to Boston Minuteman I hear it is also popular with the RVers for visiting Boston

Good Luck
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
We've used Boston Middleman RV Park at Littleton, just outside the I-495 loop. It's a fairly short drive to an MTA station for a ride to downtown.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
2. I was told that I may not want to bring our F250 tow vehicle anywhere near Boston for visiting because of narrow streets and limited parking. Should we call an Uber or what?

I'll have to disagree with Paul above a bit on this. It IS a big deal to take a large vehicle into the city. There is limited parking for larger vehicles and negotiating the small streets can be very difficult especially if you are unfamiliar with the area. And we Yanks are not patient with those that are "from away" and add to an already bad traffic situation. Save yourself some stress and take the T or commuter rail into the city. It is indeed a very walkable city plus you do have the option of taxis or Uber if you wish.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Well.......... A couple of places close to the commuter rail are KOA Middleboro and Normandy Farms in Foxboro. That said, taking a pickup truck into the city is not that big a deal, as long as you find a parking garage and leave it there for the day (albeit a bit expensive to park). Boston is a very walkable town if you can physically deal with walking. If not, the subway is easy to navigate.

Normandy Farms is higher priced as it is a 5-star resort. KOA is decent as far as KOA's go, nothing fancy. Either one has parking at the nearby commuter rail station. Another option is to drive up to the Quincy rail station and take the train in from there. Easy drive and there are a lot more train schedule options from/to that station.

Coming from out west, prepare for some sticker shock with CG rates.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
While waiting try searching for Boston in the RV Parks section of this Forum.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're eligible, there's Hanscom AFB outside the loop NNW of Boston and Fourth Cliff Recreation Area on the coast SE of Boston (both military campgrounds). We have also stayed at Pinewood Lodge Campground in Plymouth, MA, while exploring the area. https://www.rvparky.com/ can be quite useful, too.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015