cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KOA Green River Utah

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware-the power in this campground is way below 110-120 volts.Air conditioners will not work,took reading of a low of 93 to 101 volts.The operators stated that electrician had tested and all was ok-is 93 volts ok??Just a WARNING!!
12 REPLIES 12

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
KOA National does not know amps from volts (literally) - at least not the person I heard from.

Because I want to include them in our travels next summer / fall for photo shoot at Goblin and other places and got this email back very promptly ...........

"Where did you hear that we have a voltage issue! I have never really had a problem with voltage that I know of! Whenever I put my meter on it always shows 120 to 124!
Thanks Brandon"

I do not know who Brandon is.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning, Thunder Mountain!

I think you are right on - summer with a/c overloaded their system. Am surprised that at 93 volts there were not motors burning up; in any case the low voltage did not do them any good.

We wanted to have that for a base for a couple of things - Goblin Valley being one; as I wanted to do some early morning / late afternoon photo shooting there. But am not going to chance the low voltage and not going to stay there and stress the electrics in the 5er.

Not sure what I will do but that is next summer fall - when we will be in BV for a while as well.

God willing.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear about the problems with Green River KOA. We've stayed there a half dozen times over the last 5-6 years always in the fall or spring. Never had a problem. But it wasn't in the middle of the summer with everybody running the AC. Supposed to go there with friends in late September... Got me to rethinking that.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We live FHU's or W/E minimum with a dump station. We keep saying we want to get to Goblin Valley but have not done so yet. Our next stop is to be Cap Reef once again - one of our favorite areas - so might do Gob Valley from there.

Thanks for the input though!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren - have u checked out the Green River State Park? Goblin Valley State Park is a real interesting place and only a shor4 way frkm GR.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Standards for voltage for motor design - back when I was in the business - was (as stated above) as 120 plus / minus 10 per cent. That means 108 volts service minimum - maximum is hardly ever an issue. The lower the voltage the higher the amp draw --- NOT good.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
Yes-50 amp read was 104 volts.did not move there!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting to be sure. Laying out a plan for next year and not been to Green River except to pass thru and were going to stay at the KOA for 3 nights. 93 volts is totally unacceptable. I sold electrical equipment for 32 years and 108 volts was considered bottom line.

Looking at RV Park Reviews it does not look like not much in Green River for places. May just extend Moab another couple of nights and do a day trip.

We were going to stop at Green River on way to Torry but no real need to.

Wonder what KOA national organization would say.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Were you in a 30A site? Wonder if the 50A sites have low voltage?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RockyMt wrote:
Be aware-the power in this campground is way below 110-120 volts.Air conditioners will not work,took reading of a low of 93 to 101 volts.The operators stated that electrician had tested and all was ok-is 93 volts ok??Just a WARNING!!
93V is NOT acceptable. The expected voltage is 120V +-10% or 108-132V.

93V is definitely extremely hard on motors.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Place has had infrastructure problems for years and why KOA allows it to continue is beyond me. We stopped there a few years back and saw the same electrical problems along with other problems. Have friends that live in the area and they ALL say to stay away from there......

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
RockyMt wrote:
The operators stated that electrician had tested and all was ok-is 93 volts ok?
CG operators hate expensive electrical work, so they tend to ignore it, and blame you for whatever is wrong.

Electrical pressure can be just fine until someone tries to draw on it. Kinda like an old battery which reads 12.6, but then collapses under the weight of a draw.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman