cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Key west

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a week in key west after Irma on a disaster medical team. I didnโ€™t get to see much of key west but the people were awesome. They were so nice that Iโ€™d really like to spend some time down there in the fifth wheel maybe in a year. I got on the rv parky app and saw whatโ€™s available was expensive (expected) and didnโ€™t have great reviews. So what do all of you recommend?
10 REPLIES 10

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Stay on Marathon Key, not Key West. You can daytrip down to Key West from there. The 'season' will be starting down there so prices will zoom up, stay before November or after May for lower (but still not cheap prices). We stay at Pirates Bay (cove?) in Marathon. Be sure to take one of the snorkeling boats when you are down there.

Marathon was tore up by the hurricane, Blue Water Key is open or real be real soon. I saw something from them a liddle while back

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
welove2drive wrote:
We walked through Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge to check it out. It is 31 miles from KW. The little key deer roam through the campground so no dogs allowed. The shower facilities were very nice. It is on the water. There is a pool and activity hall. We would stay there but we now have a dog. She would love to play with the deer. Bahia Honda is across the 7 miles bridge. They have some long sites.

Bahia Honda is closed as are many others due to hurricane Irma major damage

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
All great suggestions!

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We walked through Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge to check it out. It is 31 miles from KW. The little key deer roam through the campground so no dogs allowed. The shower facilities were very nice. It is on the water. There is a pool and activity hall. We would stay there but we now have a dog. She would love to play with the deer. Bahia Honda is across the 7 miles bridge. They have some long sites.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed here once and really enjoyed it. Right on a canal, onsite restaurant with good food, live music once in a while. About 20 minutes to Key West. Sites are a little tight tho, but price was reasonable(then, about 4 years ago) for a short stay. Long term don't know.
http://www.geigerkeymarina.com/rv-park/

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Roadpilot wrote:
I'd also recommend Bluewater. We have always stayed on the Bay. The Tiki's we had, had Isinglass roll down sides for the wind. But we didn't find the wind too bad. Bluewater is 14 miles from Key West.

Another choice is Boyds which is as close to Key West as you'll get. Sites are much smaller and crowed. It's also in a so-so area. But it's very close to downtown. It'll be less expensive then Bluewater.

We have friends that have stayed at a small campground on Geiger Key, which is also very close. We have eaten at the restaurant there and it's very good.

Actually Boyd's prices are now on par with Bluewater. The sites are packed in and much smaller with no site specific amenities , but it is closer to the action in Key West.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also recommend Bluewater. We have always stayed on the Bay. The Tiki's we had, had Isinglass roll down sides for the wind. But we didn't find the wind too bad. Bluewater is 14 miles from Key West.

Another choice is Boyds which is as close to Key West as you'll get. Sites are much smaller and crowed. It's also in a so-so area. But it's very close to downtown. It'll be less expensive then Bluewater.

We have friends that have stayed at a small campground on Geiger Key, which is also very close. We have eaten at the restaurant there and it's very good.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like everything in the Keys and especially Key West, things are expensive. If you are coming back all the way from Ohio, treat yourself to Bluewater Key. Most of the sites are waterfront and all have Tiki's. We prefer the canal side as the winds are much milder, on the bay side it can get too windy to enjoy being in the tiki.. just depends on the time of year and weather.
While you may save a few $$'s staying in Marathon, you;ll have an hour and a half drive , each way, to Key West.... not something pleasant to do after a long day/night in Key West.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stay on Marathon Key, not Key West. You can daytrip down to Key West from there. The 'season' will be starting down there so prices will zoom up, stay before November or after May for lower (but still not cheap prices). We stay at Pirates Bay (cove?) in Marathon. Be sure to take one of the snorkeling boats when you are down there.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
How about Bluewater Key

http://www.bluewaterkey.com/

I live in Big Pine, pretty hard hit here. Went into Key West yesterday, didn't look so bad over there.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.