cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kalaloch CG in a 29ft 5th wheel

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
We am planning a road trip to the Northwest next June in our 29ft 5th wheel and would like to stay 2-3 nights in Kalaloch before moving over to Sol Duc for a couple of nights. We always try to dry camp, so that is not an issue.

My question basically is: Are there sites that can accommodate both the 5er and our F350? (drive thru, back in, or dbl wide) In total we are close to 50' long.

I have found that Recreation.gov is not that helpful in looking at site details, and campsitephotos.com only has pictures and not actual lengths or widths. So I guess the 2nd question would be whether there is a PDF map somewhere that shows the sites and their sizes?

I prefer to reserve sites in advance (1st minute of 1st day they are available on-line...do that for Yosemite each spring), and would even consider reserving two sites (one for truck and one for 5er) if I had to (based on pics in campsitephotos.com.)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Steve
2010 F350 XLT 4X4 6.8L V10
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!
15 REPLIES 15

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would "suggest" spending a day or so at Kalaloch then move to NPS park near Port Angeles. Olympic is a large park to stay in one place.
Do not miss Hurricane Ridge!

Thanks, and yes, that is the plan (a couple of days at Sol Duc), but first I have to get this Kalaloch thing figured out :@
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would "suggest" spending a day or so at Kalaloch then move to NPS park near Port Angeles. Olympic is a large park to stay in one place.
Do not miss Hurricane Ridge!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Take more time and drive less per day! You will enjoy the trip much better!
I would stay away from many high usage area during the week ends.

Well thanks for that advice, I've never thought of that before :S

However, on this 3 week road trip there are just SOME days that require driving long distances, or else it would turn into a 4 week road trip, and we simply don't have the time for that. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Olympic is the first of several Nat'l Parks (US and Canada) we will be visiting and we will be arriving at the end of our 2nd day of driving from NorCal (almost 800 miles). Sure there are many great spots along the Oregon coast (including my brother's house) where we could stop and spend days exploring/relaxing, but been there-done that.

This trip basically STARTS in Olympic park, and we" plan" to stay for 4-5 days. Therefore I would 'prefer' to stay in a CG that takes advance reservations so I drive with the peace of mind knowing I've got a spot when I get there :W Hence the appeal of Kalaloch...not to mention it's beauty.

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Take more time and drive less per day! You will enjoy the trip much better!
I would stay away from many high usage area during the week ends.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
We always stayed at South Beach!

After a long day of driving I don't like risk factor of trying to find a site in a 'first come-first served' campground...although it does look nice.

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We always stayed at South Beach!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
We started camping at Kalaloch(pronounced clay-lock for those who have never been there) since the sixties and it is basically a tent campground. Yes it would be nice if more info was available but with a limit of 35 feet stated and your rig is about 50 feet, 29 feet without the truck, there are not many spaces that answer your needs. This is a forested campground and the trees are not trimmed to allow passage of very tall vehicles and the spaces are narrow, actually, "Narrow", that's with a capitol "N".

Most of the longer sites are just an area where the vehicle site is the shoulder of the road, those little pull outs are really little. If your trailer has slides, I don't think you're going to fit.

Thanks for the feedback. I may have to adjust our plans ;-(

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We started camping at Kalaloch(pronounced clay-lock for those who have never been there) since the sixties and it is basically a tent campground. Yes it would be nice if more info was available but with a limit of 35 feet stated and your rig is about 50 feet, 29 feet without the truck, there are not many spaces that answer your needs. This is a forested campground and the trees are not trimmed to allow passage of very tall vehicles and the spaces are narrow, actually, "Narrow", that's with a capitol "N".

Most of the longer sites are just an area where the vehicle site is the shoulder of the road, those little pull outs are really little. If your trailer has slides, I don't think you're going to fit.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could call the ranger station at Kalaloch.
Your link has same map as on NPS site without the option of getting site details.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You could call now for information on what sites are large enough for your rig.
Then make reservations based on that information.

I've called rec.gov before...and I think I'd rather have another root canal ๐Ÿ˜‰

But look what I just found: http://www.bobthecamper.com/Olympic/CampgroundMaps/KalalochCampgroundMapOlympicNationalPark.html

At least I can see which ones are pull through! I can then check with rec.gov (on line or by phone) to verify length.

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could call now for information on what sites are large enough for your rig.
Then make reservations based on that information.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The only real way is to call the reservation line.
Click on site number on the following it gives driveway lengths.
Kalaloch

The campground has what, 170 sites? I was trying to avoid clicking on 170 sites on rec.gov if there was a simple fix...like a map that shows the sites. If there is not a map then I guess I will have to do that.

The process would be to go to this site: https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/wa/kalaloch/
Then click on each pic until I find one that LOOKS like it might work, then go to the rec.gov site to confirm.

Sites are available 6 months in advance (if I remember right) so I can procrastinate (or keep looking for a map) for another 4-5 months ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks,

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The only real way is to call the reservation line.
Click on site number on the following it gives driveway lengths.
Kalaloch

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
There are some sites that will handle your rig.
You will need to make reservations well in advance to get a site.

Olympic Park campgrounds
Just south of the campgrounds is an overflow area that is great. No, there is no hook ups, or water, just pit toilet. It is called South Beach!

Thanks for letting me know they do have sites that will work, but how do I found out which ones they are?

I've already been to the link you shared, but it does not give any specific site details.

And yes, I am aware of South Beach as well, but for now I am specifically just focusing on Kalaloch...not ready to go to back-up plans yet.

Thanks again, Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!