cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Iconic Pikes Peak Cog railway closed until....?

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I have made the trip to the top of Pikes Peak once on this railway and will be sad if they can't get it repaired in the future.

Pikes Peak
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran
21 REPLIES 21

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I rode both the cogs in 2014 and 2015 and feel fortunate to have done so. Drove to the top of Mt Washington back in 90's and won't do that again. Driving to the top of Mt Evans is not difficult and a truely a unique experience.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
126 years ago they built this railway and now they can't figure out how to repair it?
Another lost technology :R Another example why our country is in sad shape.

trafficmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Toured the NE states in summer of 2016 and rode the Cog to the top of Mt. Washington, highly under dressed for the weather at the top. Did some research and found that the only other COG still operating in the states was at Pike's Peak. So summer of 2017 we set off across the country from SC to Cali and back. Got to ride the PP COG exactly 1 year apart. Only difference was the PP COG had front and rear facing seats, and of course got stuck facing downhill for 3 hours. There was no mention of that when you purchase tickets online and they choose your seats to make sure each car was at capacity. Been there, done it, will drive next time!
2014 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Double Cab and a really nice tent.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
The conductor always says not to worry because if the Cog Railway fails there are two springs at the bottom, "Manitou Springs and Colorado Springs".

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
donut dave wrote:
the royal gorge cog train has been gone for a number of years. we were there in 2015 and it was gone.

Sad. I'm glad we did it while we were there.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lauren wrote:
Run it in less than 10 minutes ???? It is a half marathon. I have run it twice.

I think he is talking about the July 4th auto race, not a foot race.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Run it in less than 10 minutes ???? It is a half marathon. I have run it twice.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Well...if you're longing for a ride to a mountaintop on a cog railway, we have the 2nd one here in NH! Been in operation since 1869! See https://www.thecog.com/ ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the railway about 15 years ago. Drove up last year. Both good but enjoyed driving up Mt Evans better. Slightly higher than Pikes. Nowhere near as developed.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
EnzoColorado wrote:
Heard the parts are only made in a couple European countries, and Broadmoor Resort (the owner) is trying to figure out how to get services and parts to here and how much that'll cost. Also heard gossips that this is a move on Broadmoor's part to get the city to help pay for the repairs.

^^^^^ This. Apparently because of the age of the tracks and the mechanism, there are a couple of companies in Switzerland that have been consulted about restoration. No timeline has been given. A spokesperson for the Broadmoor said that they certainly wanted to reopen it as soon as feasibly possible but that cost would be a factor (hint hint wink wink City of Colorado Springs).
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
The Cog Railroad was on our bucket list and got to do it 2016.
I had driven up twice. Once in a Class C. Boy, was that an experience that I will remember for ever. 5 mph in low and I knew if I had to stop I could not start moving again.

If you can believe, one of the assistant ministers at our church in Birmingham used to run the annual race to the top. h He won at least a couple of the races. They go up in less than 10 minutes. The record time is now 8:13.878 but Tesla is primed to try to break the record this year.

Anyone, like me, who has driven it find this hard to believe.

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
the royal gorge cog train has been gone for a number of years. we were there in 2015 and it was gone.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Well i hope they get it figured out soon. It is a cool railway. I drive up last year. But riding up on the cog would be cool!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
The Cog Railroad was on our bucket list and got to do it 2016.
I had driven up twice. Once in a Class C. Boy, was that an experience that I will remember for ever. 5 mph in low and I knew if I had to stop I could not start moving again.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog