cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you find those tiny mom and pop campgrounds?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Last week we visited Mount Rainier and stayed at the campground we thought was closest to the park entrance about 35-40 minutes away. As we drove there, I saw several tiny campgrounds with 4 - 8 campsites that we would have loved staying in.

I use the Allstays app regularly - they aren't listed there
I use Google maps - they aren't listed there
They aren't on my Rand McNally GPS

So where can I find these small campgrounds listed? Obviously some people know about them because I saw a few RVs camped out with full hookups. They have signs in front advertising them. Do you simply need local knowledge?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
23 REPLIES 23

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
bcbouy wrote:
i don't know about the rest of you,but when we travel we unplug.we also stop in at the visitor info place,of which there are in almost every town, in bc anyway,and we ask them about local attractions and campgrounds.also stop in at the local fly and tackle shops and outfitter shops.they know the best spots for camping/fishing and hiking/biking.sometimes it's just better to talk to people face to face.i should note that we rarely book a camping spot ahead of time.we're more the explorer type of campers.

That's us, too!

Major state welcome centers usually have brochures for camping spots. Texas has a great booklet for public camping - some listed that you would have a hard time finding online.

Local small town visitor center will have the information.

Many times the online stuff isn't as good as talking to people in the area. You find out so much more - unique restaurants, a hidden waterfall, etc.

That's why we travel the secondary roads and can really experience the local area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i don't know about the rest of you,but when we travel we unplug.we also stop in at the visitor info place,of which there are in almost every town, in bc anyway,and we ask them about local attractions and campgrounds.also stop in at the local fly and tackle shops and outfitter shops.they know the best spots for camping/fishing and hiking/biking.sometimes it's just better to talk to people face to face.i should note that we rarely book a camping spot ahead of time.we're more the explorer type of campers.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Last week we visited Mount Rainier and stayed at the campground we thought was closest to the park entrance about 35-40 minutes away. As we drove there, I saw several tiny campgrounds with 4 - 8 campsites that we would have loved staying in.

I use the Allstays app regularly - they aren't listed there
I use Google maps - they aren't listed there
They aren't on my Rand McNally GPS

So where can I find these small campgrounds listed? Obviously some people know about them because I saw a few RVs camped out with full hookups. They have signs in front advertising them. Do you simply need local knowledge?

Google 'yellow pages' or 'Dext Knows' in the town you want to stay at. That is where I find them. Like the old days they still advertise in the yellow pages!!! Only now the yellow pages is on the internet.

And I am the one that is always saying the apps and park reviews don't have ALL CG's listed like so many think. And you 'will' miss all the small neat CG's if you limit yourself to those apps and reviews. :W

Oh and I set my GPS to alert me of a CG within 10 miles of where I am driving. I found some REALLY great CG's off the GPS too.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see many campgrounds like that using google maps. Problem is they are small and do not have a website, no reviews, so unless we are in the area to check them out I would bypass them. I'm sure there are others that don't show up at all on any of the sites.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We stay off the interstates and talk to people when we stop at a park or a local restaurant.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Try RvParky...either the free app or the website. Lots of out of the way places.
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
...or just seeing the sign and pulling in.

I did that at one this fall. Not in RVParkreviews. Loved it!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Rvparkreviews may list some of them, but I suspect that Us out West is right - word of mouth & local knowledge.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Probably word of mouth and typically by locals.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel