Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help us plan out trip (again :) ) - Oregon and Washington

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys-
I've used this forum's recommendations for the last bunch of long trips we've taken, and you've never lead us wrong! So, I'm asking again for suggestions on locations/cities to camp, which campgrounds, and "must do" things in the areas.

We are looking at probably 4-5 nights in each state. We are trying to hit National parks across the US, so for this trip, we are planning to hit Mt. Ranier NP in Washington State and Crater Lake NP in Oregon. We're unsure which we'll go to first, since both NPs are about 35 hours from home.

We need full hookup sites in each since it's such a long trip. Looking for places that are close to (or in) the National Parks, or if there are other major attractions in those areas, CGs that are located between those areas and the NPs.

We are going for probably 16-18 days at the beginning of July (yes, we know it's hot, we've been to many Southern states/desert during these weeks). Planning 4 days for travel each day from Michigan.

We have 3 kids ages 7, 11 and 13. We love everything outdoors, especially scenic hikes and natural wonders. Also, any adventure type attractions are great. We do plan on doing a day trip to Seattle, and possibly Portland as well.

Let us know your suggestions, and as always, I thank you in advance for your help!

****EDITED : See post on page 3 regarding new options****
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
24 REPLIES 24

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I'm going to start a different post w my updated locations so I get the best information. This post will still be useful for others searching in the future. Thanks for all the suggestions leading us to the best trip!
Jerry

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
alesis wrote:

Do about 5-6 nights in Washington and a couple nights in Idaho on the way home so we can visit 2 states. (Trying to hit all 50 States and NPs too)

Just looking for suggestions on where to stay in Washington near the 3 parts, and a good area in Idaho to visit as well.

I may start a new post if needed.

In that time frame, I would not go to Olympic. It's a fairly long drag from the Puget Sound area. The ferry takes forever (waiting to board) and you'll pay three arms and four legs to ride it with your rig. (I don't know if they even take anything that long.)

I suggest you use your time to simply explore the Cascades in Washington. I would see Mt. St. Helens. Easy day trip, stay in Seaquest Park on the access highway. Then spend a couple of days in Rainier. After that, plot a course so you cross and recross the Cascades on I-90, US 2 (Stevens Pass), and US 20 (North Cascades). Use US 97 on the east side and I-5 on the west as connectors. Plenty of camping everywhere. Scenery is amazing.

Come back east on I-90 and stop in Coeur D'Alene on the way back. The lake is beautiful, and it's a cool town. Great campsites in the national forest east of town up near Fourth of July pass.

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Ok guys - new game plan possible.

After all your suggestions, along w some friends, we aren't doing Oregon this trip. Just too much to see!

So here's what I'm thinking

Do about 5-6 nights in Washington and a couple nights in Idaho on the way home so we can visit 2 states. (Trying to hit all 50 States and NPs too)

Just looking for suggestions on where to stay in Washington near the 3 parts, and a good area in Idaho to visit as well.

I may start a new post if needed.
Jerry

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Correct on Fort Stevens, my oops. OP wanted FHU. South Beach does not have sewers.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVcrazy wrote:
Keep in mind that the OP has a 33โ€™ designation TT, probably 37โ€™ + tow vehicle. Beachside is a no go. For units of that length, OR state parks are difficult at best. Fort Worden state park near Astoria is one of the most likely state park options. There is a KOA across the street if the state park wonโ€™t work for them. The Devilโ€™s Lake RV Park has 70โ€™ pull throughs in Lincoln City. The marina at Newport is a good choice for a longer rig, not the annex. Florence has Honeyman State Park is great, but it may not have long enough spaces to stay there. Pacific Pines RV in Florence would give you a spot to tourist from. These are suggestions that could actually work for your specific unit. Obviously, there are other possibilities.

True most of the RV sites are 40โ€™, but that is to the curb, might squeeze in.
You mentioned the wrong Fort for Astoria area, it would be Fort Stevens, Fort Worden is near Port Townsend.
South Beach SP near Newport has many deep sites.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Olympic National Park is spread out with more access points. Hurricane Ridge, the rain forest, the beach at La Push gives you several very different experiences all within the umbrella of Olympic National Park. The North Cascades has fewer several experiences. It is a very pretty drive through... Iโ€™m sure others will disagree...

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the OP has a 33โ€™ designation TT, probably 37โ€™ + tow vehicle. Beachside is a no go. For units of that length, OR state parks are difficult at best. Fort Worden state park near Astoria is one of the most likely state park options. There is a KOA across the street if the state park wonโ€™t work for them. The Devilโ€™s Lake RV Park has 70โ€™ pull throughs in Lincoln City. The marina at Newport is a good choice for a longer rig, not the annex. Florence has Honeyman State Park is great, but it may not have long enough spaces to stay there. Pacific Pines RV in Florence would give you a spot to tourist from. These are suggestions that could actually work for your specific unit. Obviously, there are other possibilities.

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Update - there have been so many suggestions to go to the coast-

If you had to choose Mt Ranier vs Olympic NP vs North Cascades, which would you do? It's only 2 hours longer to get to Olympic from home, so any will work. The wife wants to see Seattle anyway.

And for Oregon, I do see Crater Lake is pretty small, so we could make that a day trip and visit another area instead. If that's the case, what do you suggest?
Jerry

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the opinion, but we've traveled this far multiple times over the years and the kids are more than used to it. We did 30 hours last year in 2 1/2 days for our long trip. I guess it's all just what you get used to. ๐Ÿ™‚

D.E.Bishop wrote:
While I think that you have an admiral idea, I think you're trying to do too much is such a short time. Driving about 67 miles per hour to get to a destination, just to say you've been there isn't very important to a 7 year old much less the 11 and 13 year old's.

At 67 miles an hour it will be close to 9 hours a day drive time.
I think you're more likely to average 50 mph than 67 in transit to and from home so it is likely to be close to 12 hours per day drive time.

If just passing through a state is all you want to do, you can leave home drive about 300 miles a day and hit ten states. But as a grand dad of 77 years, I have heard my kids and grandkids talk about the places we went and they remember, campfires, swimming in rivers, lakes too but flowing rivers are more exciting, visiting with a very old First Nations woman who was weaving baskets near a NP visitors center, a Hawaiian Aunty sitting and weaving and teaching them about the life she lives, finding crystals near, "Q", fern sliding with their cousins in Oregon and a sunset as we were driving through the Rocky Mountains.

They didn't know what state we were in, they were just looking and hiking and sitting out there. You may never be there with them when they do what they will do and missing some great times with them today.

Something I remember is laying on the ground, taking a ground level photo of my grandkids, they were in a wagon wheel rut and they were not visible. Every time they show that to their friends, their eyes sparkle.

300 miles every few days is ok but four days of 580 miles day is not a memory they will cherish.

Just my idea and it may not fit your desires.
Jerry

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
While I think that you have an admiral idea, I think you're trying to do too much is such a short time. Driving about 67 miles per hour to get to a destination, just to say you've been there isn't very important to a 7 year old much less the 11 and 13 year old's.

At 67 miles an hour it will be close to 9 hours a day drive time.
I think you're more likely to average 50 mph than 67 in transit to and from home so it is likely to be close to 12 hours per day drive time.

If just passing through a state is all you want to do, you can leave home drive about 300 miles a day and hit ten states. But as a grand dad of 77 years, I have heard my kids and grandkids talk about the places we went and they remember, campfires, swimming in rivers, lakes too but flowing rivers are more exciting, visiting with a very old First Nations woman who was weaving baskets near a NP visitors center, a Hawaiian Aunty sitting and weaving and teaching them about the life she lives, finding crystals near, "Q", fern sliding with their cousins in Oregon and a sunset as we were driving through the Rocky Mountains.

They didn't know what state we were in, they were just looking and hiking and sitting out there. You may never be there with them when they do what they will do and missing some great times with them today.

Something I remember is laying on the ground, taking a ground level photo of my grandkids, they were in a wagon wheel rut and they were not visible. Every time they show that to their friends, their eyes sparkle.

300 miles every few days is ok but four days of 580 miles day is not a memory they will cherish.

Just my idea and it may not fit your desires.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a small but very nice SP without full hookups just water and electric. The name says it all it is Beachside SP, site 63 will likely not be available as it is a beach front site with the ocean on the door side of trailer it books early. Sites 64 and 66 have great views for rear livingroom layouts.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome suggestions so far guys! Thanks so much and!keep em coming!
Jerry

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cape Blanco State park Oregon just south of Coos Bay off Rt 101 is a beautiful spot. We camped there mid week this last July and had no trouble finding a spot. It is on a first come first serve basis with water only. Quite, clean and a short down hill walk to one of the most beautiful beaches we saw on out trip down Rt 101. The lighthouse tour is really special too!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to live in Washington and travel to Oregon every summer. I do not like the Coast at all. Too wet. Too windy. Too many people.

Find some USFS campgrounds near the NPs you want to visit. Stay there and commute to the parks. There is plenty to see everywhere in the PNW. You are not going to "miss something".