Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me plan our trip - The Dakotas

alesis
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again!
The time of year has arrived that I'm starting to plan our long camping trip. We have 10 or 11 days in the beginning of July.

We're National Park junkees, so we want to visit Theodore Roosevelt NP in ND and Badlands NP in SD.

I'd like input on full hookup campground near each locations, as well as suggestions for must do day trips up to 2 hours from each CG.

We're an active family that love hiking, scenic drives, adventurous activities, historical sites and typical touristy shopping and such. We have kids that are 11, 15 and 17.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Jerry

TV : 2021 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost Max Tow
TT : 2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
Weigh Safe True Tow hitch system

http://community.webshots.com/user/detroitfd
18 REPLIES 18

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
This summer we will be running west on US 12 through the Dakota's. A couple of stops I'm looking forward to is the Shadehill Recreation area in Shadehill SD. Supposed to be a nice camp. While there we are going to visit Lemmon which has a petrified wood park and museum and some neat shops. Next is the Enchanted Highway between Regent ND and Gladstone ND. Regent has a good overnight campground. Then on to Teddy Roosevelt NP. I'm thinking of staying in Bowman at the Twin Butte Campground. Supposed to be OK and a good home base if the campgrounds near the NP are full. As mentioned Medora ND looks like a good spot too. There is a Medora Musical every night, looks like fun cowboy stuff!! We are going to be there in mid August or so, our RV has Mass. Plates. Hope we into each other.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Mitchell to Medora is 500 miles but the Corn Palace is a must see if you go by Mitchell
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

srdeane
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Medora campground the city campground in Medora is as good as it gets - we stayed in one of the new big rig sites last August

We have stayed at the KOA in Interior and Sleepy Hollow in Wall - both are good choices lean to the KOA with kids

While you're in Medora, see if they are doing the Corn Palace. It's different every year. I can only guess at whether they suspended it due to Covid. If it's built again this year, it's definitely worth seeing.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Medora campground the city campground in Medora is as good as it gets - we stayed in one of the new big rig sites last August

We have stayed at the KOA in Interior and Sleepy Hollow in Wall - both are good choices lean to the KOA with kids
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks