cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading to Durango, CO

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
DW & I are headed to Durango, CO to ride the Silverton Train. :B Anyone have any input to the local campgrounds? Thanks in advance for the help. ๐Ÿ™‚
25 REPLIES 25

mjmaddox
Explorer
Explorer
TomB, we're headed to Durango as well. Not taking the camper but flying and staying at the Strater Hotel on this trip. Taking the train to Silverton on Wed the 1st. We'll be there through the 4th.. Hope the festivities are as good as the hype.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure they must have had a reason, but it didn't seem like it would have been that big of a deal to me. I'm glad others are happy with them.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
EcoBullet wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
EcoBullet wrote:
We were passing through, between campgrounds in Pagosa Springs and Cortez, but wanted to take a quick side jaunt up toward Silverton to get high (elevation wise). We were looking for a place to drop the trailer for a few hours and stopped at the Alpen Rose. Although there were obviously vacant trailers there, they wouldn't consider letting us park. I thought that was being just a little chicken $hit on their part. I won't be staying there in the future.

Let me see. You wanted to park your trailer for free in a campground "for a few hours". And are mad at them 'cause they declined and you saw vacant trailers. Maybe those paying customers were out seeing the sights. Cheezzz! :S

I never said anything about asking to park there for free. No, I wasn't expecting to park in a campsite, and yes there was room where there were trailers sitting that weren't hooked up to utilities. Cheezzz! :S

My bad. I made an assumption based on another comment on this thread.

Anyway, my experience with the owners has been nothing but great. They have gone out of their way to accommodate me on several occasions. They really are very nice people.

They must have their reasons, but after all, it is their business and they can pretty much do what they want. Likewise, choosing to not stay there is your business, but I hope that no "regular customers" are influenced by your decision.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
EcoBullet wrote:
We were passing through, between campgrounds in Pagosa Springs and Cortez, but wanted to take a quick side jaunt up toward Silverton to get high (elevation wise). We were looking for a place to drop the trailer for a few hours and stopped at the Alpen Rose. Although there were obviously vacant trailers there, they wouldn't consider letting us park. I thought that was being just a little chicken $hit on their part. I won't be staying there in the future.

Let me see. You wanted to park your trailer for free in a campground "for a few hours". And are mad at them 'cause they declined and you saw vacant trailers. Maybe those paying customers were out seeing the sights. Cheezzz! :S

I never said anything about asking to park there for free. No, I wasn't expecting to park in a campsite, and yes there was room where there were trailers sitting that weren't hooked up to utilities. Cheezzz! :S

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
sizzy wrote:
I also agree with tour bus up and train back down. The train is very slow and becomes pretty boring although worth one trip.

I think the train up and the bus back. The mountains get afternoon rains and I wouldn't want to be in the open car on the train at that time. Mornings are safer for the weather.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ycswat
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed Alpen Rose. Big sites and best of all was the very, very large fenced dog run. Largest one we have ever encountered. Friendly staff, clean and lots of activities for kids.

Rob

sizzy
Explorer
Explorer
I also agree with tour bus up and train back down. The train is very slow and becomes pretty boring although worth one trip.
Kathy with Sparkles and Ellie (the camping dogs):C ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜›
2002 Pleasureway Traverse

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
EcoBullet wrote:

Alpen Rose has no places to park except for their sites. Which site wouldn't they let you use for free?
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
EcoBullet wrote:

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Junction Creek is real nice with big trees. Carry a full tank of fresh water. The roads are washboard the last mile +. 50A electric. Very close to town.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking at Junction Creek CG, anyone been there?
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
Alpen Rose is a nice CG with the train going by from a distance, plus a huge dog area and United CG is a nice CG too but the Train comes thruogh the CG so noise can b a issue...as for the train, take it one way to silverton and the coach back ...now if you have your car with you I feel the ride to Silverton and then Oray on rt550 is just a wild ride...After driving it both ways I give the truck drivers that make deliveries credit..but its worth driving just to stop and take pictures..
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another vote for United. There's a $1 shuttle into town to catch the train. We've taken it both ways twice and never tire of doing so. You'll spend an hour or more in Silverton so you'll be able to grab lunch there. The train comes right through United's campground so you'll see it twice daily. Many sites face the railroad track. Enjoy the trip...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG