cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard to find a full-time spot

WyldRaider
Explorer
Explorer
In Lancaster county pennsylvania I was full timing in my 35' Fifth wheel for about 3 years like 4 years ago. Recently I was looking for a campground/RV park and I found out that the townships have put a stop to people who live full-time in their rv's. I found that to be a bit on the discrimination side. So I'm just looking for some input from full timers if they've run into the same problem. I'm willing to hear from anyone that can help me out. I'm not looking to file a discrimination suit or anything like that. I'm just looking for some replies that may help me.
Thank you
24 REPLIES 24

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
With more and more apparently full timing in RVs due to Covid or whatever reason, you can expect more and more local entities to progressively ban the practice. Does anyone really think local govts are going to take chances missing out on tax revenues or are all full timers so honest they search out the tax payment requirements where they're at and March in to pay the pauper?

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Somebody mentioned a six month limit in WA state. Do they really enforce it?

I think a better question would be, "Does the person who mentioned a six-month limit in Washington state have a citation to that law?" Just to make sure it actually exists. Then you can talk about whether it's enforced.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somebody mentioned a six month limit in WA state. Do they really enforce it?
Puma 30RKSS

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I am now in Somerset PA. Nice camp ground and looks like a ton of full timers in one section but the place is supposed to close end of the month. Hickory Hollow.

Not full timers, they're seasonals. We used to go there a few yeats back.. At that elevation which is not all that high, something like 2000', you have usually seen the first snowfall by now and you can count on snow on the ground in that area from December to mid April.

It is a nice place but is a little too pack em in for my taste.

WyldRaider
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah that's the problem with Pennsylvania almost all of the campgrounds close for the winter. There were a few in my area that stayed open all year and also had water lines deep enough so that they don't freeze and burst. We just had to put heat tape on our hose from the spicket to the inlet. There's one place that I was at before that's open year round but they now have a waiting list. Almost everyone in there are fulltimers. I have like 3 people in front of me on the list. It's a nice place, it has a small lake or a large pond that they supply row boats and canoes for the guests. It's stocked with fish from sunnie's to large mouth bass. I'm now wishing that I never left. When I did leave it had plenty of open spaces. My fifth wheel is a 4 season rv so I did very well during the winter. Maybe I will hold onto the rv because it was $500 per month with everything included. It now has new owners that raised it to $650 all included.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am now in Somerset PA. Nice camp ground and looks like a ton of full timers in one section but the place is supposed to close end of the month. Hickory Hollow.

WyldRaider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. Yeah I have no recourse because all of the campgrounds that used to allow fulltimers have been halted by the townships. I drove miles in my car one day and I must've covered a couple hundred miles but every single campground had the same new rules. I used to know which ones allowed year round living but they all are now only for like 2 weeks maximum. I've been thinking about heading back to Arizona but my kids and grandkids are all up here in Pennsylvania. I guess I will just sell the Fifth wheel now.

dedmiston
I think one of our weirdest experiences was pulling up to an RV park in Anaheim near Disneyland where the spaces all had addresses instead of space numbers. Camping there felt like we were intruding in everyone's neighborhood.

(Sadly, the place went out of business this year with Disneyland closed for so long.)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned above I keep movingโ€”-but I have pulled into more than one place that looked more like an RV scrap yard than an RV park because people had been there so long. I just left a place in WV that had a lot of sites with metered electricity and although the units were all up to date it was obvious by the mess outside they had been there awhile. Why?

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
WyldRaider wrote:
In Lancaster county pennsylvania I was full timing in my 35' Fifth wheel for about 3 years like 4 years ago. Recently I was looking for a campground/RV park and I found out that the townships have put a stop to people who live full-time in their rv's. I found that to be a bit on the discrimination side. So I'm just looking for some input from full timers if they've run into the same problem. I'm willing to hear from anyone that can help me out. I'm not looking to file a discrimination suit or anything like that. I'm just looking for some replies that may help me.
Thank you

And that is a wonderful thing. Find a trailer park to full time in and leave the RV park to vacationers, campers ,and travelers.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Move south there are full timers in nearly every RV park down here. Try Cedar Cove RV owned by friends, they have two parks and 75% are full time.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wisconsin Dells recently changed their regulations so now people that are members of a camping resort with membership privileges but pay per use are restricted to 6 months a year.
There are several locations with deeded lot and you can stay there full time. To use these sites, you have to have a park model and you are taxed accordingly. No "down the highway" campers of any kind are allowed on the property even overnight.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Recreational vehicles, by definition, are not designed for permanent residency and are not built to any permanent housing code. Many local jurisdictions have banned using them for permanent housing because of those codes. Manufactured housing (mobile homes) faces the same issues as they are built to a HUD code but not local building codes.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the money, as in taxes. Local governments want to charge personal taxes to each resident and they want to charge real estate taxes for anything that sits still. They want to charge for permits if a structure comes or goes.