cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Go North or West that is the question

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in a quandary. The best quandary we could possibly be in. Retired teachers now, we get to travel in the fall rather than the summer. We love the West, Utah, Colorado, Montana with Glacier being our mecca, but we haven't been to Maine in over a decade, our first RV destination. I've always wanted to keep driving north to Nova Scotia but the Canadian wildfires are maybe creating a scene we don't want to see. We live in Florida and can't wait to get out of here. Where would you go? West or North?
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha
9 REPLIES 9

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do not say what you mean by "fall". By mid September the great parks are cooling down a lot. Especially the high altitude parks: YNP, Tetons and Bryce along with N. Rim.
By cooling down I mean heavy snow is possible. Camps close 9/30. We got six inches of snow on the way out of YNP last year in late September.
And the long term weather guesses are for record cold summer up here. We had temps in the 30's last week outside YNP, active snowfall on the peaks around here.

On the other hand it could be a great time for Arches, Zion and Capitol Reef, maybe south rim. And all the AZ small parks.

The NE guess is for record high temps.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And for your third year - Really head north to Alaska! :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plan both and don't leave Newfoundland out of the northern trip. Then check your crystal ball for the best one for that year.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
we love western Washington.. it's green, warm, and not crowded ....

Keep it green,, bring money ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
We love the Four Corners. All that you mentioned we've enjoyed. Durango being one of our favs. We have inflatable kayaks and love to run the Animas through town.

dedmiston
Have you toured the Four Corner states? There are tons of tribal destinations that most Americans haven't seen. Some of my favorite bucket-list POIs are:

* Monument Valley
* Mesa Verde
* Canyon de Chelly
* Chaco Canyon
* Four Corners (novelty stop)
* Taos Pueblo

The list goes on.

The geography, people, and historic sites are unbelievable in that part of the country. And the fall is a great time to be there. Just keep in mind that most of the National Parks close in mid-October, so try to see those sites first. One year our family were the last guests out of Mesa Verde and they literally locked the gates behind us.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Go to Newfoundland in early Summer (next year) when the ice burgs are in "seasons" Check Google on the correct time of year. Note date of the below photo of my camp site. Stay the summer up north. See the fall colors in mid-October.

When we were in Maine a few years ago, Lobster were $20/lb in the stores, $10/lb at the warehouse, $5 or even free at the boat or at the dock where the fishermen sell to the warehouse.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not worried about smoke. I just don't want to see Nova Scotia for the first time looking like the apocalypse. I agree on the fall colors, something we haven't seen since we were kids.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who can predict where smoke from forest fires will be a problem several months from now? I would consider going North for the Fall colors.