cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier national park campgrounds

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for Glacier campground suggestions for next year please. I know part of the park is still closed this year.

We have a 35 foot travel trailer. Full hook up preferred but if it's the right place, we can get by with just electricity.

We'll be coming from Michigan.
Not sure if we should stay on the east side or west of the park. Is it worth pulling over to the west side of the park?

Scenery would be nice but so is convenience. We're open to all options. Thanks
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog
11 REPLIES 11

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some good RV parks just outside the Park boundary on the west side. The commute is short.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
And, the West side is closer to Polebridge Mercantile & the best sticky buns & cinnamon rolls in the state!

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
michigansandzilla wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
Have done both sides of Glacier NP and I would definitely do the west side of Glacier NP. Columbia Falls RV Park is very nice as is the KOA in West Glacier.

Any particular reason the west side is recommended? Thanks

The East side is surrounded by Indian reservation and very limited services. The last affordable gasoline/diesel and supplies/groceries are in Browning. The store/gasoline station near the east entrance had gasoline $.80 a gallon higher, a case of water was on sale at $21.99 and a box of Cheerios was $5.00, this was in 2014.
The West side has anything and everything you could want at normal prices. You donโ€™t want to miss Normโ€™s News in Kalispell where they have an old fashion soda fountain with cheese burgers, Chili fryโ€™s and home made sodas, all served by nice high school kids.
Love the West side.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
From what I hear the west glacier koa and Columbia falls campground are the best. I stayed in my cousins driveway in the hills outside Kalispell. Lots of wildlife going through his property. But I don't think he is open to the public! ๐Ÿ™‚
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the West Glacier KOA. Very nice. Would definitely go back there.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
Have done both sides of Glacier NP and I would definitely do the west side of Glacier NP. Columbia Falls RV Park is very nice as is the KOA in West Glacier.

Any particular reason the west side is recommended? Thanks
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
The East Entrance is closed due to COVID restrictions on the Blackfoot Reservation. The parks, both public and private, in the entire Western Entrance Trade area of Columbia Falls, Kalispell and Whitefish and Hungry Horse are very full. Reservations are a must right now.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
padredw wrote:
We had a particularly good experience at Mountain Meadow in Hungry Horse on the west side of Glacier National Park. So good in fact that we would definitely go back there on any visit to Glacier. We liked the layout of the campsites and the fact that we could hike a bit up the hill from the campground.

Thanks for posting that. We have reservations there in a couple weeks. Was worried it was far away from the entrance.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œwe can get by with just electricity.โ€

This really limits your camping IMO. With solar system options, why?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We had a particularly good experience at Mountain Meadow in Hungry Horse on the west side of Glacier National Park. So good in fact that we would definitely go back there on any visit to Glacier. We liked the layout of the campsites and the fact that we could hike a bit up the hill from the campground.