cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ghost Towns

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I love ghost towns...we found one a few years ago near Silverton, CO. Animas Forks. There were just a few buildings left of what was an old mining town. The road up to it was a bit daunting and everything was covered in snow, but it was interesting.
I was wondering if anyone else loves ghost towns and maybe would care to share some you have been to.
thanks
5 REPLIES 5

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
docsouce wrote:
We visited Virginia City, Nevada city and Bannack all in Montana. Virginia City is a " live ghost town". There are open shops,saloons and theaters. The people working are all dressed in time period cloths. Lots to do and see. Rambling Moose campground is a great camp right up the road. Nevada City is about a mile down the road from Virginia City. This is a walk through town with many restored buildings with time period furnishings. Quite a few local folks available offering great information and entertainment. Bannack is a rather large ghost town. This town looks like life just stopped one day and everybody left. When we visited it was spooky quiet. There is a state park campground just outside the town too. All these towns have plenty of close parking for your RV.

I'VE READ ABOUT BANNACK...IT'S ON MY BUCKET LIST!

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We visited Virginia City, Nevada city and Bannack all in Montana. Virginia City is a " live ghost town". There are open shops,saloons and theaters. The people working are all dressed in time period cloths. Lots to do and see. Rambling Moose campground is a great camp right up the road. Nevada City is about a mile down the road from Virginia City. This is a walk through town with many restored buildings with time period furnishings. Quite a few local folks available offering great information and entertainment. Bannack is a rather large ghost town. This town looks like life just stopped one day and everybody left. When we visited it was spooky quiet. There is a state park campground just outside the town too. All these towns have plenty of close parking for your RV. We were limited to what we could visit and had to do some research because we didn't have a toad that could handle the roads leading to the towns.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might want to check out onlyinyourstate.com and atlasobscura.com

I do suggest that you be careful visiting some of the places on atlasobscura. They are not adverse to a bit of trespassing.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Been fascinated by the prospect of seeing one but never been. Thanks for the tips on sites. Planning a trip out west this year.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Ghosttowms.com and also try Ghost towns USA

we love going to Ghost towns too, may be going to some this fall.
J herb