cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gatlinberg, TN and Ashville, NC

nomad2013
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some good RV campgrounds in the above subject heading.
Thanking you for your assistance already!
21 REPLIES 21

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
For Gatlinburg, we stayed Smoky Bear Campground and RV Park. It's about 20 minutes east of Gatlinburg, 10 minutes from a full grocery stores, but it's away from the crowds and hustle and bustle. Very clean and well maintained, and the hosts are really wonderful.

https://www.smokybearcampground.com/
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am on the other side of the ride from the river. Maybe the mosquitoes will stay over there. My 3rd time here.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at Riverbend several times and I really like it. Get a site right on the river.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sitting in River Bend at Pigeon Forge right now. Got here Monday. Donโ€™t seem crowded, 2 empty spots beside us. This is a nice place

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
For Gatlinburg we went last year for the first time and spent a week in KOA Gatlinburg East. We thought it was great, and a lot nicer than some of the others in the area. About 10-15 minute drive into town but heavily shaded, nice size sites (for a private campground) and the owners gave it an overhaul with things like new stone on all roads within the past few years. They were talking about paving the roads. Small campground, nice pool, nice scenery. Also, the owner was on the show "moonshiners" so it's interesting to talk to him and see the pictures in the office. Not loaded with amenities but after a day exploring the national park or town our kids loved the pool and we loved the shady relaxation.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Riverbend for sure.

BTW, if you've never been there, although Townsend is very nice and very quiet, it's a long way from anything else. You're pretty isolated there unless you have no problem with traveling a good bit to get anywhere.

Except that Townsend is right around the corner from Cades Cove in the Park, you are correct. For my money, being as far from the tourist traps as possible is a huge + but to each his own.

and another endorsement for Big Meadow CG!

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Riverbend for sure.

BTW, if you've never been there, although Townsend is very nice and very quiet, it's a long way from anything else. You're pretty isolated there unless you have no problem with traveling a good bit to get anywhere.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Riverside or Riverbend. 2 different places

nomad2013
Explorer
Explorer
At this point, only looking a place to kill time before meeting friends at Riverside.
Great replies, I have never made two pages. Thanks again!

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Little Arrow for next week on Townsend. Was at the Asheville west KOA a few weeks ago, nice with plenty of pull thru sites.
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just watched this new YouTube video, just west of Gatlinburg, but looks like a nice place near Wears Valley:

https://youtu.be/5bPLhzqd5QA
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
LibertyMan wrote:
For Gatlinburg I have always enjoyed staying in the town of Townsend. Not a bad drive into Gatlinburg but way less crowded and much quieter. I'm not a KOA type person but the one in Townsend is excellent. There is also another campground next door to the KOA called Little Arrow. It is nice as well. Both are less than one mile from the entrance to the Smokey Mtn. National Park and much closer to Cades Cove than coming from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.
For Asheville, if you need to be in/near the city, campfire Lodgings is nice. As another said above, Momma Gertries seems to get a lot of traffic but I have never stayed there myself. Lake Powhatan Recreational Area is near Asheville and is pretty nice as well.

Love Townsend. The Little Arrow Campground is excellent. Stayed there in September. Big Meadows Family Campground is good as well.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite for Asheville is the Lake Powhatan Recreation Area campground by far. We always get a full hookup site on the misnamed "Lakeside" loop. Large sites and lots of foliage...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We really like Stonebridge RV Park in Maggie Valley. A pretty little stream runs behind the park. Sites are good...and there is a big field if you have dogs. It's a fairly short drive to Cherokee...and you pass a beautiful waterfall on the way. Maggie Valley has restaurants and places for groceries. And not as "busy" as Gatlinburg.

When we have stayed in Gatlinburg, we use Twin Creek RV. It's just a few miles from town and it is one of the stops for the Trolley, if you want to go downtown, but don't care to drive.