cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeport TX

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're looking to head south for 2-3 weeks in Jan. We don't want to commit to reservations until we arrive for a number of reasons. Called quite a few RV parks near/on the coast in the Brownsville & Galveston areas yesterday to get a feel for how full they'll be in Jan. They may have the occasional 2-3 day opening here and there, but, for the most part they're booked solid. Seems to be quite a bit more vacancies south of Galveston, in the Freeport area, even on the coast. Any recommendations, tips for this area?

Anyone have any thoughts about the Bluewater RV Resort? I get the impression there's camping allowed on Brazoria County beach off hwy 257. Soft sand? Safe?

Thx!
10 REPLIES 10

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Bluewater is fine - not a lot around it south of Galveston, its a newer property but at least $52 per night based on weekly rates its a far cry from boon-docking.
Its about 30 miles south of Galveston.

We stay at Bluewaterrv whenever we go to Freeport. Allways book a canal side lot so we can put out crab traps.
Yes it's a little pricey but it's well maintained, planned activities if your into social events.
If your more the boondocker then lots of Beach entry points and we see lots of Beach campers but they are pretty spread out

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
Ha, I thought maybe you were traveling in an A or C.

I don't think a 4X4 truck of any type would have much of an issue getting onto any of the beaches down here. I do it in my 2WD F150 with street tires. I just get a running start before I leave the pavement.

Bring a small shovel and bucket. If by off-chance you do get stuck, dig out the sand in front of all 4 tires to make the sand level with the tire and then wet the sand in front of the tires good to pack it. There's plenty of water to fill the bucket.

Freeport and Brian has tons of driftwood for a campfire. We collect some for landscaping around the house.

You might consider Matagorda Beach as well. It's very popular with the campers and easy on easy off. They charge a small fee (I think $10) for an annual pass but I doubt there is anyone collecting that during off season. There is also a nice RV park there off the beach.

The down-side to all these beaches other than Surfside is there isn't anything close by to stock supplies. Bring what you need with you. You'll pass a Bucee's on your way to Quintana, Freeport and Brian. That's the closest store. Interesting store at that.
Thanks for all the tips and recommendations. We'll definitely give Matagorda Beach a look.

We've done a number of soft-sand beach excursions with various cars and trucks. Even got stuck a few times. However, our truck, with a very top-heavy, almost 4,000 lb. truck camper onboard changes things up dramatically. Not saying it can't be done, but we'll pass 🙂

Explorer II
Explorer II
Ha, I thought maybe you were traveling in an A or C.

I don't think a 4X4 truck of any type would have much of an issue getting onto any of the beaches down here. I do it in my 2WD F150 with street tires. I just get a running start before I leave the pavement.

Bring a small shovel and bucket. If by off-chance you do get stuck, dig out the sand in front of all 4 tires to make the sand level with the tire and then wet the sand in front of the tires good to pack it. There's plenty of water to fill the bucket.

Freeport and Brian has tons of driftwood for a campfire. We collect some for landscaping around the house.

You might consider Matagorda Beach as well. It's very popular with the campers and easy on easy off. They charge a small fee (I think $10) for an annual pass but I doubt there is anyone collecting that during off season. There is also a nice RV park there off the beach.

The down-side to all these beaches other than Surfside is there isn't anything close by to stock supplies. Bring what you need with you. You'll pass a Bucee's on your way to Quintana, Freeport and Brian. That's the closest store. Interesting store at that.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
That 1 doesn't look bad at all. Most are much worse.

Are you traveling with a TT or Class A?
Truck camper (4x4 SRW). We have 295's on the rear, but it still doesn't do well in soft sand. Have given thought to bringing along recovery/traction boards, but not sure it's worth the hassle since we rarely, if ever, go off-road.

Explorer II
Explorer II
That 1 doesn't look bad at all. Most are much worse.

Are you traveling with a TT or Class A?
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
There are several YouTube videos on this.

We prefer Quintana but you can't drive or camp on the beach there
2112, thanks! Watching this video was the next best thing to being there. The beach entrance/exit doesn't appear quite as rutted and soft as I expected. Of course, this was a few years ago. Very helpful, thanks again.

Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several YouTube videos on this.

We prefer Quintana but you can't drive or camp on the beach there
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, for $52 I'd sure hope Bluewater was a step-up from boondocking on the beach--lol! We were only considering the Brazoria beach option for a potential 1-2 night stay. Camping at/on the beach can be a nice change-up. Sorry to hear it has soft-rutted sand at the entrance. When we were in Brownsville a couple of years ago they had 4 or 5 off-road vehicles waiting at the beach entrance pulling folks out for whatever cash they had in their wallet.

Bluewater stood out when we were researching options a few days ago. It's out there, surrounded by dunes and not much else. For some, that's a big plus. Seems to have good reviews. Has big concrete pads, a canal with hungry fish, and a relatively easy walk to the beach. Most important to us, they expect some availability throughout Jan. It's a good potential plan A; however, we'll feel better with if we can line-up a good plan B and C, too.

Thanks for all the replies. Please keep 'em coming!

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Bluewater is fine - not a lot around it south of Galveston, its a newer property but at least $52 per night based on weekly rates its a far cry from boon-docking.
Its about 30 miles south of Galveston.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
People have been driving on those beachs since time began. The entrance/exit is usually plagued by soft rutted sand. I don't know the current camping allowances. You have Bryan, Quintana, Surfside, and Freeport beaches. Call one for current conditions.

Brazoria County Beach advertises free camping and is wide and hard packed.