cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FLA vs AZ

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I spent 6 weeks in FLA 2 years ago and am planning on making it 8 weeks this Feb + Mar. I read another thread where many switched from FL to AZ & like it better. I like FL because I fish and the ocean is right there, and AZ is further from me. But, I am interested in learning more about AZ (I have relatives & friends in Tucson). What is better about AZ?
46 REPLIES 46

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
California and Arizona need RAIN and more of it. They are still in drought mode in Southern CA and most of Arizona - - need to fill those lakes and reservoirs. We're in Mesa, so warmer than Tucson and the storms come through pretty quickly and we are back to sunshine!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
I'm inTucson right now. I usually prefer Yuma because I feel it's sunnier and a bit warmer, but circumstances caused me to choose Tucson thist time it's been raining this weekend here. When I wintered in Yuma I could go the whole winter with nothing but sunshine and warm temps every day. Could be boring for some folks.??

Nonetheless, im still happywithTucson..

You are not missing any sunshine in Yuma this year, Mr Ed. We have had more rain in Dec than we have had in total over the past 3 winters. It has been cold and/or wet at least 50% of the time this winter.

Thanks for the update! I feel better now. ๐Ÿ˜„
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
I'm inTucson right now. I usually prefer Yuma because I feel it's sunnier and a bit warmer, but circumstances caused me to choose Tucson thist time it's been raining this weekend here. When I wintered in Yuma I could go the whole winter with nothing but sunshine and warm temps every day. Could be boring for some folks.??

Might be boring for some folks. BUT, you didn't have to shovel any of it did ya?:B
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:

You are not missing any sunshine in Yuma this year, Mr Ed. We have had more rain in Dec than we have had in total over the past 3 winters. It has been cold and/or wet at least 50% of the time this winter.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Paleo_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
To Alfredmay: Thanks for your input. But like I said, I prefer state parks and I just didn't find much that I cared for around the RGV. Also, I made an error: when I found it really cold in the Hill Country it was January, not November. (And why do I see a bunch of people going: "Well! No wonder!") ๐Ÿ™‚

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Paleo Ron,

You went to the wrong location in Texas to be warm. You need to be lower in altitude, further south and much closer to the Gulf. That is why the Rio Grande valley is where the largest number of winter Texans are.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Paleo_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just had to reply to this topic. I spent my first winter snow birding in Florida. My 2nd winter was in Texas. My 3rd was in Arizona. My 4th was in Arizona. My 5th was in California and Arizona.

You can probably guess where I wanted to go for my 6th season, but I have to get back up north a little earlier this year and so I opted for Florida. And was very surprised. As a geologist I had fallen in love with the scenery of Arizona. But coming down here I realize that I had forgotten just how beautiful the forests of Florida can be. I should also mention that I go from state park to state park,and have noticed that the bug problem varies widely. You have to find the right places.
Not fair to rate Texas based on one visit, but man I froze there in the hill country in November.

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
happycamper1942 wrote:

Any recommendation for RV parks in the Mesa area? We are thinking of coming down February/march.

You might be able to get reservations now for February - but March is always near full capacity all over the valley because of Spring Training - and the Cubs have their training site in Mesa, so everything is full this year. Best bet is to call and see what is available. We like the Cal-Am parks (several around), especially Val Vista, since that is where we are. Also give Mesa Spirit a call - they recently became part of the Encore system and openings last year. There are several Encore parks in the area. Also check out Usery Park (Maricopa County parks) to see what is available. It is only 2 weeks at a time (water/electric) but nice sites and a wonderful view of the valley. Several parks in Apache Junction (next to Mesa) but I'm not sure of their availability during Feb/March.

Thanks Barb. I didn't realize it gets so busy with spring training so will have to plan around that
Barb
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

Retiredblade
Explorer
Explorer
Fl vs Az?
That's like comparing a Ford v8 to a Gm v8, it never will end and will convince no one, don't even throw S. Tex in, for performance, a 4 cylinder cannot compete against the V8's!!

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
And did we mention DUST STORMS?

I'll admit that the threat of Valley Fever, and my allergies to dust in general, made me desire FL over AZ. We chose the Space Coast area for less traffic, and I sure feel like the people here have been as nice as the people anywhere else?

But yes, FL can be humid (the price you pay for having water everywhere). Buggy?? Maybe during the summer? I've not really seen many, but maybe it's because the little Anole lizards keep them at bay...

The Hoboobs are associated with the Monsoon season, which isn't during the winter, but usually August and September. And Valley Fever is way overblown. Actually much greater incidence in the San Joaquin Valley in California - where the name comes from. And most of the winter dust is on the west side where next to the open agricultural fields, not on the east side next to the Superstition Mountains.

Luckily not everyone likes the desert, which means those of us that do have a great winter at cheaper costs.

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper1942 wrote:

Any recommendation for RV parks in the Mesa area? We are thinking of coming down February/march.

You might be able to get reservations now for February - but March is always near full capacity all over the valley because of Spring Training - and the Cubs have their training site in Mesa, so everything is full this year. Best bet is to call and see what is available. We like the Cal-Am parks (several around), especially Val Vista, since that is where we are. Also give Mesa Spirit a call - they recently became part of the Encore system and openings last year. There are several Encore parks in the area. Also check out Usery Park (Maricopa County parks) to see what is available. It is only 2 weeks at a time (water/electric) but nice sites and a wonderful view of the valley. Several parks in Apache Junction (next to Mesa) but I'm not sure of their availability during Feb/March.

Barb

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My thoughts? Thank goodness we don't all like the same place. . . there wouldn't be room for all of us there. Different strokes for different folks and thank goodness for that. It's a series of tradeoffs. When we quit fulltiming, we will most likely settle in Florida. My favorite place? Nope. I much prefer the desert. BUT, our son lives in Florida and when we get much older, we will want to be close to one of our kids. We have to be in warm weather for my DH's heart, so Florida will be the logical choice.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
For me things don't get crawling in FL till April/May. The gators and snake all have love in their eyes, and the bugs start to make a stand to take back nature. No big deal for a snowbird that leaves prior to that.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.