cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First time to S.Dakota

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
From Oklahoma we will leave this Saturday, Sept 15 and travel through Kansas and Nebraska to Badlands National Park in our 32' class C and Jeep tow, just hubby and me plus our dog. We have 12 days and could extend if we decide to miss a semi-important activity back home. It is around 750 miles one way.

Please help me with the best itinerary without doubling back and best RV campground with full hookups (thinking about Big Pines) to visit Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park and scenic drives, Black Hills, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Crazy Horse. Others not to miss while here?

Should we move to Spearfish (thinking about Chris's Camp) to visit Deadwood, Sturgis, Hill City, Keystone? Others not to miss while here?

After visiting S. Dakota we want to go to Devil's Tower in Wyoming then head to Boysen State Park and back home to Oklahoma. Anything in between we should consider?

Or if we decide to stay longer, we may go to the Tetons and Yellowstone. It will be the end of September and first of October, is that too late to trek over? We aren't prepared for freezing temps or much snow. If we go, we were thinking about staying outside the park this time. Any recommendations coming in from the east and the Tetons?

One thing we may add to the beginning is the Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society in De Smet, SD so would do that first, then drive west to Badlands. Any recommended places to stay in or around De Smet? Other things to see and do here?

We have no reservations nor timeline so could end up spending the entire time just in S. Dakota and circle through the Wyoming stops on the way home. We like traveling the back roads and stopping along the way, staying longer if we are loving it. That's why we are going back to Boysen. Dropped in for the night several years ago and have dreamed of going back ever since. Amazing place to sit and enjoy the beauty of our great country....gosh, we love RVing.
David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.
35 REPLIES 35

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Dave and Deb,

We've been to South Dakota twice and have visited the same sites that you have mentioned.

About DeSmet-if you go into the town you can either pay for a tour or meander through the surveyor's house where the Ingalls spent a winter, the Brewster schoolhouse, where Laura taught her first year as a teacher, which was moved to DeSmet, and a small gift shop. About ten minutes outside of town is the Ingalls family homestead. You have to pay $15 to enter the homestead area. You can also stay there in your rv for the night, no hook-ups, for $30 (I think). It did not take us tons on time to see what we wanted to, so we drove back to Route 90. We did not have to double back for this.
Kathy

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
I should have mentioned we like secluded RV parks with lots of trees and quiet surroundings. Don't need any amenities except do enjoy full hook ups. Somewhere you could sit outside and enjoy a cigar and a glass of whiskey at the end of the day without having visitors. We aren't prepared to boondock in the wilderness yet but do like that kind of privacy if that makes sense. This is our down time.
David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
We have been there in the Black Hills the last 2 summers. We stay in Hill City, as it is right in the middle of everything. You can see and do everything without having to move and set up all over again. Have a look at the Rafter J campground. A great place with full hookups.

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
Where ever you are going you need to google monthly weather and if going through mountain passes most northern states want you to carry chains. After October 1.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite RV Park was Hart Ranch between Custer and Rushmore. Definitely eat at their restaurant on Saturday night, great Primerib dinner.Highly recommend.
https://www.hartranchresort.com/about/

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
One of the most scenic spots in S DAkota is Custer State Park. You pay for a pass to access the park but so worth it!

There are three loops to drive where you can see lots of wildlife(buffalo and mores), rock spires and unique pigtail (curling) road. One of the drives brings you through a one way tunnel where Mt Rushmore is framed by the low/tight one way tunnel. Be sure to check size restrictions for that loop. NO RVs are allowed and I do not think a truck camper would fit the tunnels.

S Dakota is beautiful. Might check out Wind Cave and the other cave (name escapes me). Know you will enjoy it.