cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feeling the urge

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
It's 106 in San Antonio and I'm feeling the urge to find cooler weather. My normal M.O. is to just head out and roam, but there's so many rules and closures now that I don't feel that confident. My favorite getaway is the San Juan mountains and Southern Utah. I usually access my destinations by traveling through New Mexico, but they seem kinda prickly right now. (It takes a full day to get out of Texas from San Antonio, so I feel like I need a plan before I hit the road.) Any advice?
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6 REPLIES 6

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Damdifino wrote:
It's 106 in San Antonio and I'm feeling the urge to find cooler weather. My normal M.O. is to just head out and roam, but there's so many rules and closures now that I don't feel that confident. My favorite getaway is the San Juan mountains and Southern Utah. I usually access my destinations by traveling through New Mexico, but they seem kinda prickly right now. (It takes a full day to get out of Texas from San Antonio, so I feel like I need a plan before I hit the road.) Any advice?

Well, y'all are welcome in Iowa, too. We have some friends coming up from the Hill Country in a couple of weeks. But we've been having our share of warm weather, too. It hit around 95 degrees today and the humidity is around 60%. We have a few things requiring us to stay home this summer or, once the bike rally is over, I'd be heading for the South Dakota Black Hills to cool off.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
I'm not sure about your route nor your camping preferences, we prefer State or COE parks, but you have to check into the week ends. DW & I just finished panning our trip to PA & MD and the masses forced us to use KOA's on the week ends both to & from.
Nice sites for a night, I guess, but fr too tight and commercial for our liking. Besides at almost $60 a night, with taxes and all as compared to a COE park at $24 for 3 nights, with the geezer card. And a lot more room.
Have a safe and happy trip!

I agree, but there aren't a lot of COE parks in Colorado compared to Missouri and Arkansas.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to Vallecito Colorado from the Houston area in 10 days. Stopping 2 days in Bernalillo, New Mexico. I called New Mexico highway patrol and got a lot of ifs ands and buts. Called the KOA in Bernalillo and they said come on, no problem. Look on Keystoneforums.com for lots more info.
Bottom line...it appears the NM governor is issuing edicts and everyone including the police is ignoring it.
Go for it.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
A word to the wise; a number of places are going back to phase 1 of COVID-19 response. Take face masks with you and wear them whether or not you think they're required.

Also in some places there are people who are grumpy about tourists right now no matter how polite you may be. They see tourists as carriers of the disease and a threat to their area because of that. Continue to be kind but excuse yourself quickly and head on up the road.

Hopefully you can still enjoy yourself. Have a good trip.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure about your route nor your camping preferences, we prefer State or COE parks, but you have to check into the week ends. DW & I just finished panning our trip to PA & MD and the masses forced us to use KOA's on the week ends both to & from.
Nice sites for a night, I guess, but fr too tight and commercial for our liking. Besides at almost $60 a night, with taxes and all as compared to a COE park at $24 for 3 nights, with the geezer card. And a lot more room.
Have a safe and happy trip!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Take 385/287 north out of Texas, you miss New Mexico that way.