cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving people to boondock by calling themselves a "Resort"

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
we have reservations in a didderent place but just for kicks I looked up two new RV Parks in Pigeon Forge TN. MARGARITAVILLE RV RESORT AT $119 a night and Pigeon River Landing rv resort at $79 per night.

Marg is not a resort no beach no river no mountain within 5 miles of mountains.
PR Landing is no resort. Again no beach no mountains does have hills does have stream.
Both have pools.

Most Parks are expected to have clean facilities, pool, and wifi but add Resort to mane and watch out.
28 REPLIES 28

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stay at and enjoy the entire range. Individually, I enjoy boondocking the best far away from anyone, however my teen daughters disagree. They prefer water slides, pools, games, etc. We find state parks to be the middle ground for all of us but they are super difficult to get into. So we end up covering them all. Staying at true resorts, places that call themselves a resort but it's a stretch, KOA's, State parks, and boon docking. Just trying to keep everyone happy and everyone doing something other than staring at their phone

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We almost never stay at private campgrounds anymore. One because of price,and one because they pack you in like sardines. We normally stay at state or federal parks. We have the Senior Pass which gives you free entry to any National Park or National Historic site. It also gives you half off camping at any Federal Campground. So we try to hit Forest Service or Army Corps of Engineers (COE).The lowest we paid was $7.50 a night for water and electric. The most we paid was $19 a night for water and electric and right on the lake. State Parks are usually more but generally in the $30 to $40 range. Sometimes you may have to drive 20 miles off the interstate,but for those prices it's worth it.Plus you have more room and a better view than in a commercial campground.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
bgum wrote:
we have reservations in a didderent place but just for kicks I looked up two new RV Parks in Pigeon Forge TN. MARGARITAVILLE RV RESORT AT $119 a night and Pigeon River Landing rv resort at $79 per night.

PR Landing is no resort. Again no beach no mountains does have hills does have stream.
Both have pools.

Most Parks are expected to have clean facilities, pool, and wifi but add Resort to mane and watch out.

Not sure of the point, sounds like they are near touristsounds like they are near tourist destinations destinations? if the parks are clean, maintained with enforced rules/security that may drive up the price? I have 1 booked this year at $108 per night that fits perfectly on what you described... certainly will not drive me to boondock ๐Ÿ˜‰ :C

Mike

Exactly. A "resort" is simply a place near tourist areas. I can call an empty field a "resort" if it's adjacent to an amusement park or entertainment venue. No pool required.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:

Both have pools.

Not sure of the point, sounds like they are near tourist destinations? if the parks are clean, maintained with enforced rules/security that may drive up the price? I have 1 booked this year at $108 per night that fits perfectly on what you described... certainly will not drive me to boondock ๐Ÿ˜‰ :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
teejaywhy wrote:
bgum wrote:
we have reservations in a didderent place but just for kicks ...
Both have pools.

That's a terrible Haiku.

That made my morning!!! Thanks. :B

Mine too!!! LOL :B
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
teejaywhy wrote:
bgum wrote:
Both have pools.

That's a terrible Haiku.

That made my morning!!! Thanks. :B

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Both have pools.

That's a terrible Haiku.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
I don't think the biggest consideration for boondocking is price. I think it's more lifestyle based than economic. I have no interest in boondocking. That's not what I RV for. Many boondockers have no interest in a developed campground, regardless of cost. It's a mindset and not much else.

You're correct.

We spent 16 years of full-timing and rarely stayed at a RV park or Resort.

We boondocked on public lands because we like the quietness and no lights. We enjoy nature and there's nothing better than to park at the edge of a beautiful stream or lake with no one else around. It has absolutely nothing to do with free camping. Once we're set up we use the Jeep for exploring the backroads and doing hikes. That's where the beauty of our country is... not in a 'resort'.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
If it has resort in the title I'm out, they are all over priced and all I need is working hookup to explore the area.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We avoid the "resort" type places and stay at real campground for much less with full hookups, pull thrus, sometimes pools, laundry, clubhouse etc. If people keep paying, they will keep raising the price. We spend the winter overlooking a golf course, cement pad, full hookup , electric included and the senior rate is $78 week. Small towns with these type of prices are so much better than the tourist traps.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
No doubt the use of the term resort is getting out of hand as it pertains to private RV parks, primarily because many RVers want to believe they are living the resort life, thus the title of the park includes this moniker to catch their eye.

For many who see this representation know full well that the majority of these private RV parks don't live up to the hype, sometimes staying at these overpriced parking lots being sardined in like non-resort parks isn't a choice, rather a circumstance of RVing in a popular destination.

To each their own as the saying goes, we can't always have it our way, some prefer always having hookups, others prefer open spaces and self-containment. One way or another, no matter which side you're on, you will find that you may be stuck where you partake in the opposite spectrum.

For us we do it all with extreme success, where we lay our heads down for slumber is dependent on what type of trip we re taking. Whether we are enjoying events/museums/culture in a large city or exploring natural wonders we utilize all our rig's amenities with or without hookups.

Pools, hot tubs, saunas, club house, game room, or other park amenities are nice but we have those at home already. Our choices are not determined solely on park features, pricing, or location, rather we do what works for us wherever we happen to be, being flexible guarantees success.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Resort? They are probably wanting to draw a certain type of customer and it's not us. We don't like bumper to bumper "camping". We're the boondocking or forest service CG type.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bgum wrote:
Oh I agree they are not targeting the boondocking crowd. The new will wear off and the "Resort" label will not carry them. If Dollywood had a RV park it could rightfully call itself a Resort. Not so with those two.

Buffet may look like a goof but he's actually a very good businessman. He isn't owned by a record label and he manages his merchandise and image very strongly. He's got a huge and loyal fan base.

I expect a lot of it will be meeting with like minded fans.

I would be shocked if the name doesn't carry them for years.

Some of the no-name campgrounds will face other challenges but the example you provided was already substantially lower priced.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I avoid any place with 'resort' in the name. It usually just means higher prices.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8