cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crater Lake 3rd week of June

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am thinking about a trip to Crater Lake towards the end of June.

What will be open in the park at that time of the year?
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed
13 REPLIES 13

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
We were there the second week of, last year. Most of park was open, but could not drive around lake because a portion of the road was still closed
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If possible try and go when the Rim Drive is doable. It's the best way to take in the whole lake. Or do the boat tour if it's running.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mazama Campground is your best bet. There are some with electric if you get there in time.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for any kind of weather. Like hornet28 said Rim Road closed in one July and I have seen couple of inches of snow at the lodge in mid-August 1976 and the lodge was playing Christmas music.

Take the rim road loop if you can. It gives some good views, road is driveable but rough and narrow that may bother some, I have taken our 35' Bounder around twice just have to spend sometime re-bolting everything. Watch for bicycles! I prefer to go counterclockwise, you got to cross for the turnouts but it isn't that bad. There is also open-air tour buses that do the loop, cost was reasonable the time we did it.

Maybe 8-10 RV parking spots at the lodge but you will find lots of people consider their Yugo an RV and they are rather tight due to the cars parked in the no parking areas.

Have fun!

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
An example of how blue it is

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
The area around Crater Lake is experiencing some of the worst drought conditions in the west, so all should be open by then. We'll be there the first few days in July. Yeah, just so excited about the crowds!
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perfect time to go. It is the most beautiful blue Iโ€™ve ever seen. Enjoy.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it is crowded. For good reason: it's great. I've never seen anything like it, before or since.

If you get the chance, check out the stars over the lake. In late June, the center of the Milky Way is at its peak for the year.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Around 2011 or 2012 I was at Crater Lake with my 28ft TT and it was very crowded with folks and RVs. I remember the weather being sunny and warm. May have been spring, summer or early fall. Parking lots were near full but I was lucky for a day visit.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
We were there around June 6 in 19. The road around the lake was still closed due to snow. The picture shows a portion of the road around that you could only walk not drive.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Take plenty of Deet. Skeeters will be hungry that time of year.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
everything
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is a good place to check. This for 2021!Crater Lake
End of June should be good except for people!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker