cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleveland Ohio Camping

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Good day. I am looking for suggestions where we can camp for a few nights in closest proximity to Cleveland, Ohio this summer. I will be traveling with a group of Scouts, and our focus will be to enjoy the activities of downtown Cleveland Science Center, R&R Hall of Fame, Ball Game, and Zoo). I am experiencing difficulty in my search for somewhere close to stay. I will have my RV and we will be setting up about 8 tents. Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Gryphonguy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not aware of any campgrounds in close proximity to downtown Cleveland. There is a Boy Scout Camp that is about 30 miles south in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

http://www.gtcbsa.org/
2005 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2005 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Punderson State Park.Nice campground.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to visit the USS Cod and Cuyahoga Valley National Park while there.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
Just throwing out there but there is a scout camp (Stigwandish) out in Madison, OH? Itโ€™s about 35 minutes East of Cleveland just off I-90. Around the corner (about 1.5 miles away) is a KOA (Madison-Thompson) that is pretty nice. Itโ€™s a little closer to Cleveland than Geneva on the Lake (Geneva State Park).

There are a couple Kenisee parks out a but further east in Austinburg and Jefferson.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the streetsboro KOA. Would do it again in that area
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I think the city of Cleveland is missing out. I think a full hook up campground would bring folks to Cleveland and visit...also spend money.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
With Scouts in mind, I'd suggest Punderson State Park. There is a lake there, and you can rent row boats or even a pontoon boat. It's been 7 years or more since we were there, but I wouldn't mind going back.

Another option could be the Streetsboro KOA which has a nice area for tent camping. I would call them to see how they handle groups and if you could use the tent area that is closer to the office. Don't know how that would work with your RV. It's really nice and set off from the RV area. Travel time up to Rock & Roll will be about 30 minutes, but I'd suggest avoiding prime commuting hours as the 480 can be pretty hectic.

Another option is the American Wilderness Campground (https://americanwildernesscampground.com/) in Grafton. Again, about 30 minutes or so travel time to the Cleveland attractions.

Hope you have a great trip!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a RV park near Painesville too.
The parks weโ€™ve stayed at in Geneva were private.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geneva SP is nice as mentioned above. Findley SP is closer to downtown than Geneva SP, and has more campsites to choose from. I've never camped at Punderson SP, but that would also be a bit closer than Geneva SP. Here's an Ohio SP link below...

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a dearth of campgrounds close to downtown.

We ended up in Geneva-on-the-Lake. Not close but do-able and it was very pleasant area. Old summer vacation destination with a throwback feel. Comfortable restaurants, mini golf, etc.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might try getting a hold of a scout group in that area.

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
Closest I have found in my searches is Cleveland SE KOA, though we haven't tried it yet.
I did learn that the parking for the football stadium, which is walking distance to both the science center and the rock n roll HOF, will accept RV day and overnight parking for a fee. I doubt they will let you pitch tents in the parking lot though:)
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Try here first they will have or give you good info

https://lecbsa.org/