cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A RVing near NYC

tkzamp0869
Explorer
Explorer
We will be celebrating our 50th Anniversary this year and want to visit New York City . We are looking for an RV park in the vicinity of White Plains NY or other location outside the city but near the train station. We want to park our RVs outside the city and commute. Do you have any suggestions of places look into. Thanks you for your help. Kathy
12 REPLIES 12

Fivetwos
Explorer
Explorer
missnmountains wrote:
We stayed a week at Black Bear in Florida, NY. Very nice. They have a bus that takes you downtown NY City.

Ken

I love black bear and very good fishing too
I've never had a 10, but I have had....

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Black Bear in Florida, NY. Very nice park and the tour

into NY City was one of the best we've ever had.

very

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to Liberty Harbor twice and loved it. My suggestion is to just do it. I don't think the park will be open for long. I see development all around the property and I think they plan to sell out to developers in the not too distant future. You may never have the opportunity to camp so close to NYC in your lifetime.

The last time I was there, the entrance ramp to the highway was closed and I had to drive a few miles through tight city streets to get back on the highway. That was very scary and way too close for comfort a couple of times. I suggest you call ahead and ask them what the widest path in is. Be sure to check Google Maps for street closures and don't arrive or leave close to rush hour.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbor is the only choice for convenience.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Croton. The park is well maintained and very spacious.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stayed at Liberty Park for a week and was happy with the location for going to NYC. Subway is about a 3-4 block walk from the park and with advice from the locals, you can get to wherever you want to go in the city. The spots are tight but doable. When we were there they had a night watchman in a tower overseeing the park and surrounding area. The drive in is tight because the streets are close but it is okay if you look out for the crazies. Make reservations well in advance because there are not a lot of sites. Have fun. It is a great trip.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

dieselbobcat
Explorer
Explorer
X2 - Croton Point

Almost walking distance to Metro North station...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Croton+Point+Park+Campground/@41.1814792,-73.8952377,16.74z/data=!...

Run by Westchester County... little pricey at about $55 for full hookups... but right where you are looking to be.

Stayed there twice and had a great time... close to Jockey Hollow and Van Cortland Manor...

Supermarket within a mile... 40+ OTA TV channels and great Verizon cell service...

PM for more details or with questions...
2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate 4X4 6.2L

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The best options I know of are Liberty Harbor (closest to midtown in terms of travel time), Croton Point park in Croton-on-Hudson (maybe an hour or slightly more to midtown), and Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn (part of the Gateway NRA, on Jamacia Bay, maybe an hour and half to midtown including a decent walk from the campground to the bus stop at the other side of the park).

I have stayed at Floyd Bennet Field. It is affordable, and the RV sites--really just chunks of a large concrete parking lot--are spacious. There are no hookups, but there is a dump station and showerhouse on site. Getting there is an adventure in driving through the city; from the northish direction, I suggest just taking Flatbrush Ave down from the expressway.

In general, probably Liberty Harbor is the best for seeing the city.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed a week at Black Bear in Florida, NY. Very nice. They have a bus that takes you downtown NY City.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

kginder
Explorer
Explorer
Been to Liberty Harbor many, many times. Highly recommend it. Grove street path is 3 blocks away. Water taxi to World Trade is right there. Very safe area.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been there but, I read a lot on the forum about Liberty Harbor RV Park.

It's basically a parking lot but, it is convenient to NYC.

Congrats on your anniversary.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
There is Liberty Park in Hoboken(?), I think you walk to the ferry or subway. Location is what you pay for, it is on a dock.