cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chisos Basin, Big Bend

spindrift
Explorer
Explorer
The web site clearly states that RVs greater than 20+ feet not recommended due to grade, twists and turns on the way up to Chisos. Has anyone done it, and if so, how closely should the recommendation be followed?
'12 F350 KR CC DRW, with some stuff.
Redwood 36FL
10 REPLIES 10

twichers
Explorer
Explorer
It's tight and twisty. The camp hosts were the only ones with anything over ~20ft IIRC.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
spindrift wrote:
The web site clearly states that RVs greater than 20+ feet not recommended due to grade, twists and turns on the way up to Chisos. Has anyone done it, and if so, how closely should the recommendation be followed?

The description doesn't let you know how really twisty it is. I have seen a camp host get a 35 ft 5er up the mountain BUT traffic was halted and a lot of backing to make some of the worst turns.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
When we were there in February, one of the rangers mentioned that they have trucks go before and after the campground hosts' RV's when they park or leave.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
Big Bend has several dispersed camping sites that hold one or two campsites and are just out of sight of the road...but the roads can be rough if it has rained and then not graded, so check them and their condition out at the Visitor Center.
We liked Hammond Draw, about a mile from the visitor center.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
It is not just the road. Most of the sites are pretty tight. I had no problem with a 17' trailer, but I would only find a few sites that my 21' would fit.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
There's 3 hairpins where you'll have to go over the center line and there's only a few camping slots that will take long RV's. You'll be much happier at Rio Grande Village campground.
Currently Between RVs

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avoid the summer. Great place in winter.

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
The actual restriction is rvโ€™s Over 24 feet. We have camped up tthere with our Winnebago Via which is 25โ€™6โ€ and had no problem negotiating the road or campsites.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah it is a twisty road
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Was there last Jan and rode the road up to the CHisos campground.
I would take that recommendation seriously. A couple of hairpins were tight.
Gerry