cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changes to Snowbird lifestyle and Snowbird communitiess

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
This post is not about the virus or masks or anything else that is controversial. Please do not post anything that will kill the thread. I was reading an article about the tourist industry down by 60% in Puerto Vallarta. Also another about tourists not going to Churchill to see the Polar bears. We all know how things have changed for our RV travel. But what is really serious is the effect on Snowbird destinations. In many of these communities almost 30% of the winter visitors are Canadians. With the border closed Canadians will not be travelling to the USA. Some Canadians with units that remain in the USA may decide to fly. The rest will be at home. This will result in a lack of business for RV parks,Restaurants, gas stations, retail stores and more. Some of these businesses will probably close. Even many American snowbirds may decide not to travel for health reasons.One has to wonder about changes that may remain permanent at RV parks. Pot lucks might be a thing of the past. Crowded music jams could end. Sure does not sound like fun! I suppose that Canadians will now be hoarding winter parkas and boots!
93 REPLIES 93

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
They won't allow mexican residents (I am one) to transit the US. I asked.

texacokat
Explorer
Explorer
Our park in FL is more than 70% Canadian. They are the volunteers who put on the shows, organize the clubs, dinners, etc. First, many of them won't be there due to all the good information already provided here and second, even IF there are looser regulations in FL, I think we all believe in masking and social distancing and therefore no organized fun. We plan to go for our Jan Feb Mar and stay safe in our lawn chairs outside our camper rather than sitting in our lazy chairs behind snow-covered windows.
Kathy & Scott
2018 Ford F-150 XLT
2018 Forest River Wildwood 27rks

ProudCanuck42
Explorer
Explorer
jsummers72 wrote:
A Sept article in the Anchorage newspaper on the Border closure Extension said CBC says they're allowing 5 crossings per day in the "Western States".

It's allowing crossings at 5 border crossings, not 5 crossings per day.

jsummers72
Explorer
Explorer
From AK to the Lower 48 there have been different experiences. In the last 10 days 2 different families left Palmer for AZ. One got thru', the other was turned back. Ram truck pulling TT got thru', MH pulling toad was turned back. Who knows why ? A Sept article in the Anchorage newspaper on the Border closure Extension said CBC says they're allowing 5 crossings per day in the "Western States". Does that mean crossings going South from AK, or crossings heading to AK from the Lower 48. Who knows ? If you call and finally get a real person the CBC will tell you "it all depends". I think they are allowing the Border Agents to decide "as the situation dictates" from day to day. Good luck. We're staying in AK this winter for the 1st time since 2006. Hello snow shovel.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good friend of mine, a chef by trade, has for many years now worked at a very high-end restaurant in Muskoka near my cottage during the summer, and at another high-end restaurant in Florida for the winter.

He was speaking with his Florida employer and explained his concerns about staying safe, the owners position was donโ€™t worry about it, stay up there & safe, it doesnโ€™t look like anyone is coming down here this winter anyways.

The local propane supplier was in to fill my tanks on Sunday, when I commented on working Sunday the driver stated they have been swamped with calls from people who normally lock their places down for the winter and head south but who are saying they will be here for the winter and so keeping the heat on. He also said theyโ€™ve bought two more trucks and hired two more drivers to keep up with demand, they donโ€™t feel this winter will be the end of it either.

Time will tell.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Dave

It is strange that Canadians can fly in if they have a park model, stay the winter, then fly home, but driving in a self-contained RV (often stopping only for fuel, using their own 'facilities') to their destination is fearful, while college students have frat parties, football tailgates and some candidates are doing indoor rallies, all of which really can spread the disease. Unfortunately logical thinking is no longer part of the curriculum in any institution of learning from K through grad schools!

I agree with you Barb it totally defies any form of logic, but I'm wondering if the underlying issue here is the government's concerns of having to bail out airlines when this is all over, and the less the better? I seriously don't know, but it does make you wonder what the ulterior motive is in all this stupidity of what's allowed and what isn't.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suspect a LOT of northern folks will pass up on being a little warmer in order to be a LOT safer and healthier.

I also suspect the health insurance companies that are currently offering snowbirds health coverage to those leaving for much higher risk areas will reconsider that position soon.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Wapiticountry, a reply to your 9/14/20 posting is located under "Around the Campfire" Sticky (initiated by Moderator): "2019-20 Coronavirus Pandemic Postings" pages 52-53.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're leaving in a week and a half for Florida. Haven't been North for a winter in the past 10 years and don't plan to start this winter. Our Home Base here in Western NY (Rochester/Buffalo area) no longer has any central heat as we sold our wood furnace shortly after starting to winter in Florida.
We have a large lot in Florida and won't be confined to our 43' Fifth Wheel, but we'll pretty much stay on our lot reading, gardening, and relaxing during the day.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m happy for you Tomman. 15 years! I might feel the same...however we only got in 2.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We have been doing the southern scene for over 15 years and yes it is warmer mostly. We will miss that BUT if I am going to be confined to a trailer or motor-home without human contact it would be liker jail. On the other hand we have two homes in Michigan and although we do not frequent the northern on in the winter anymore we could. One main stay home in southern Michigan is 2500 sq ft and has a hot tub room and a separate wood shop attached to the garage. A home theater, fire place with plenty of fire wood, I have my office and computer room the wife her sewing room with room for her rather large quilting needs. Plus family which maintain the same anti virus plan as we do. SOOOOOOOO in the end we are giving up the sun and warmth for a much larger environment with lots of stuff to do in any season.
Bottom line just going south is just not a huge draw and the mixing with thousands of seniors in the public places is not a a good thing for us.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Enough Political commentary, Snowbirding will be different this Winter. Please keep all politics out of it. Lots of good info here. I would prefer not to close or delete the thread.
pawatt

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
I see no sense in trying to play Whack-a-Mole (The greatest arcade game ever. No one has ever played Whack-a-Mole and not laughed the entire game) with my travels. Within fractions of a percent, you are just as likely to become infected in Michigan or Vermont as you are In Florida or Arizona or California. There is scant evidence that locking yourself in your home with minimal contact with the outside world is significantly safer than engaging in activities while taking reasonable precautions. I am not aware of any studies that have shown Essential Retail employees (grocery store, hardware store, Walmart,etc) or truckers, or delivery drivers or many other people who have daily, yet limited in duration, contact with the public suffer infection rates higher than the general population. Fear of COVID is not going to prevent me from traveling to warm climes.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
"Stop it! You're making too much sense." No it does not; not in a national and international emergency; everyone needs to pull together to protect each other; yes, in these times, you are your brother's keeper. Just because this very serious issue is being bantered about in the arena of politics, that does not make it the REAL thing of life and death. The scientists, who have been working with infectious diseases for some 30 years, have managed to prescribe instructions to help save our lives; we should listen to them and only them. And if you need to speak with someone more personal, speak with your family physician (also in the category of a scientist), and he or she will take the time to explain how critical the instructions are for you and let's say your best friend. We have lost already two friends to Covid (leaving a widow and two sons) because they would not leave the Florida Keys and return home; they had the same opinions you presently do. By the way, I could not be more proud of Canada and its citizens in how you as a group have handled this emergency; Early on, I wish we could have had that kind of leadership.