cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cass Scenic RR, WV

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to WV later this month - wondering about the road that gets you to the Cass Scenic RR (219 to 66 to ???). How much of a grade is this? Anyone know if they allow you to overnight in the parking lot for the train, since it is about a 5 hour round trip and doesn't depart until almost noon... Any info appreciated! Thanks! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's
5 REPLIES 5

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, guys! Planning on coming down from Elkins area, so gotta stay on the west side. Did see mention of a CG near the RR, but ratings were far from good... would have preferred the parking lot, so guess we'll keep heading south to Lewisburg afterwards. Appreciate the info, especially about the easy grades! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Think about coming down on the eastern side of the mountain. I-81 to just south of Winchester then US 48 west to Moorefield. US 220 to Petersburg then follow Rt 28 to Seneca Rocks (Stop here they have RV parking at the visitors center). Continue down Rt 28 to Camping at the Grove (Google it, never been there but it has 5 stars). From there it is 50 minutes to Cass. Along the way stop at the Green Bank Observatory and take the tour.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
When we were there, we got chased out of the big empty flat parking lot. We were told that there was a campground up the road, but we never say it or the directions were wrong. We found a place to stealth camp.

The grades getting there were not bad, but the roads that look as thought they were scribbled on the map? That is pretty accurate.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Last I was there no overnight parking was allowed in their lot.

There is a campground that abuts the tracks that we stayed in, but its a bit rustic. I would not plan on to use the bathhouse unless something has changed. 30amp power at best.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
The Cass Scenic Railroad is a fun excursion. I've ridden it twice. The first time I stayed in one of the 'factory workers houses' that have been remodeled so that they are modern on the inside and historic period looking on the outside.

The second time I took the RV but stayed at Seneca Shadows Campground, which is about an hour away and drove the toad there. The road getting there is a bit narrow. I did see a few RV's in their parking lot but I don't think there are any overnight provisions for RV's at the park. We did see a few RV parks on the way that were closer.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A