cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping near Madison, WI

Honeybee8888
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking the RV to Madison for our godson's UW graduation in mid-May. I see there are several county parks with camping facilities in the immediate area. We will probably come in on Thursday so we have time to relax and rest up for a strenuous Saturday, and leave maybe Monday or even Tuesday. We'll be renting a car to make driving around Madison easier (we don't have a toad.)

So: Any advice on which park would be the nicest to stay at? Any advice on things we might like to do in the area while we are there if we are feeling ambitious? I should add that my husband is recovering from surgery and has been having difficulty doing extensive walking, so hiking and climbing are out for this visit. We may bring a transport wheelchair to help with some of the inevitable walking, but that will also factor in to what we are able to plan to do.

Anyway, any advice would be very welcome! Thanks!
Me and my Hubby (empty-nesters)
Cassie, our Golden Retriever/Collie lap dog
Samantha, a 2002 28' Jayco Eagle Class C
8 REPLIES 8

einy
Explorer
Explorer
I guess if I had a choice, and you are not looking to hike or explore the park, I would definitely choose Lake Farm. It is the most updated (and very clean). I forgot about Mendota Park. It's very small and I'm not sure it has a shower house. It's just a small group of campsites near the boat launch. Each time I've been in the neighborhood, the park looks un-kept. But if being close to campus is the goal, Mendota would certainly work. It may be the easiest commute to graduation.

Honeybee8888
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. No votes for Mendota County Park? It looks a little more "park-y"-- more trees, and a boat launch on the lake. All the parks currently have space, so I do have a choice.
Me and my Hubby (empty-nesters)
Cassie, our Golden Retriever/Collie lap dog
Samantha, a 2002 28' Jayco Eagle Class C

agb2529
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Lake Farm Park, clean, well-maintained, nice bathroom/shower building, easy access into town. We have a group that goes there every year in June.
The Long Grove Happy Campers -
Alex & Sandi
2003 Suburban K2500 6.0 L 3.73
2003 Dutchman 19T Sport

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
We have not stayed at Token Creek in at least 10 years. But the last couple of times we were there it was a party park despite having on-site camp hosts. Forget about getting any sleep. And don't leave anything out. Maybe it's changed. It's certainly a nice park but no new reviews on rvparkreviews since 2016.

I might suggest Viking Village in Stoughton. Not fancy but full hookups are available. The owners and staff were always good. It's about 20-30 minutes from Madison depending on where you need to go.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

einy
Explorer
Explorer
I will second Lake Farm Park. Another Dane County park in the area is Token Creek.It's on the north side just off the interstate. Both are nice, have bathrooms and showers, but are electric only. Token Creek has some trails and a dog park. Lake Farm is pretty much in the middle of town Reserve early. Here is the link

https://parks-lwrd.countyofdane.com/CampingShelters/Camping-Group-Camping

Welcome to the Madison area. If the weather is nice a walk on State Street is fun. Or a trip to the Union. Have a great time.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you first check to see if any had openings? That is a pretty popular weekend to camp close to U of W for the very same reason you want to camp there. You could be spinning your wheels.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I have stayed a couple time at the Lake Farm Park. Its very clean with good sites well worth it.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
KOA Madison in De Forest stayed there many times - better reserve now as they are the best around
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks